Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am doing Junior Cert this year and need some advice

• 29-01-2017 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

What is the best technique to use? I recently bought mindmaps from juniorcertmindmaps.ie and I read over them after 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and it still never stuck in my head.

There is about a week and a half to the mocks and don't know what to do...please help

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listen properly in class.
    Make sure you are in school every day.
    Do every bit of homework as if it is an exam question.
    Ask questions if you do not understand something.
    Do not leave a class not understanding something.

As for studying, mindmaps will not work if you are not a visual learner.
    Find out what type of learner you are (using tests like those below) and study in a way that suits you.

http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles.shtml

http://vark-learn.com/the-vark-questionnaire/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Posieon

I took the two tests and found I am a kinesthetic learner.

What technique is good for me?

I got two different answers???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Posieon wrote: »
    I took the two tests and found I am a kinesthetic learner.

What technique is good for me?

The kinesthetic learner is the one the standard Irish classroom can least cope with. You learn better standing up, moving around, making large gestures, all the things most classrooms do not allow.

You have to find a way of connecting bodily movement to the steps you are trying to remember. In theory, putting your notes on tape and listening to them as you walk or run should work well for you. It's a question of finding what works for you. Any sort of hands on activity, building a model castle, handling science models of molecules etc., should all allow things get into your head better.

http://www.kinestheticlearningstrategies.com/

See if you can find a Channel Four programme called 'The Unteachables', it had a segment teaching punctuation in a 'physical' way.
    Posieon wrote: »
    I got two different answers???
    Most people are a mixture of two styles, if not more.

In another test I got read/write, what one should I focus on if I have multiple ones?

• Advertisement

Try a few approaches and see what works for you. You should talk to the special needs or resource teacher in your school. He/she will have all sorts of techniques for you to try. They would also have more accurate testing methods.

If I used flash cards with colour and diagrams here and there would that work with all kinds of Learning Styles

It could, you just have to try it out and see do you retain the information easier using the flash cards.

Advertisement