Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST/THREAD

Options
  • 29-01-2017 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Just bought an Asrock H110m-ITX board and Pentium 4560 CPU for a cheap upgrade and I have no video output. It's dawned on me that the board more than likely doesn't have the latest BIOS for the latest CPUs...so am I right in thinking I'm f*cked until I find someone with a skylake CPU??

I'm trying to output via HDMI to the TV - the board should autodetect the connected HDMI shouldn't it?

EDIT:

I got it going after I pulled it back out of the case.

ANOTHER EDIT:

Never had such a pain in my b*llocks with a new board and trying to install W7. Is M$ deliberately making it so hard or is just the new chipsets?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Fun fact: Win7 is not compatible with Skylake/Kaby. You might have the system running to some degree after that nightmare of an install procedure but it might act funny. Very funny. Destructively funny. I speak from painful experience... and am now typing from a Win10 PC as a result :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Solitaire wrote: »
    Fun fact: Win7 is not compatible with Skylake/Kaby. You might have the system running to some degree after that nightmare of an install procedure but it might act funny. Very funny. Destructively funny. I speak from painful experience... and am now typing from a Win10 PC as a result :/

Yeh...I thought it was still possible on a skylake chipset, but when I woke this morning thinking what would be my next move I thought maybe I'll stick on windows 10 and all my problems will be solved so I'll try it later and see how I get on. Main reason I wanted to keep W7 was I didn't want to have to reinstall and thought I'd hopefully swap board. CPU, and RAM and get going with just installing new drivers.
    I may yet still try and resist!!...lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its concerns for the future and the return to Old Microsh!t that are the issues... the upgrade from win7 is relatively painless, though some stuff does get moved around a bit. Format-and-reinstall misery it was not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Vulkan cannot be adopted fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for pointing this out as I'm planning an upgrade this will save me lots of grief . is an upgrade from Win 7 to 10 ok or would you recommend a clean win 10 install ?

Solitaire wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tony wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing this out as I'm planning an upgrade this will save me lots of grief . is an upgrade from Win 7 to 10 ok or would you recommend a clean win 10 install ?

I would recommend a clean Win 10 install.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thicas15

Yep. Just do it

Advertisement