Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Go MO

Options
  • 29-01-2017 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

I hope Mo Farah is not planning to do any training or racing in the good old US of A in the next 90 days.

The US State Department said: "Travelers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa.

The US State Department said that Britons with dual nationality with the countries Syria, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen will be stopped at the American border for the next 90 days.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/28/unhcr-speaks-donald-trump-suspends-us-refugee-program/

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Does he still hold Somalian nationality? Don't think I've heard him referred to as being a dual national before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Ceepo

robinph wrote: »
    Does he still hold Somalian nationality? Don't think I've heard him referred to as being a dual national before.

Sky news were reporting last night ' that it would also effect double olympic gold medal winner Mo Farah'

Flotrack now have an article on it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only "newspapers" that seem to have articles on it so far are the likes of the Daily Heil and The Sun, and Sky being part of the same stable. Wiki page makes no mention of dual nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ha ha ha just thinking there. When did the British press ever refer to anyone that was successful as been for anywhere else only British. Shur don't they try to claim any good Irish results as well lol

Flotrack seems to have a bit more understanding of the executive order Trump signed than the "newspapers". Could be based purely on country of birth rather than nationality, but no one is quite sure.

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »

Ha ha ha just thinking there. When did the British press ever refer to anyone that was successful as been for anywhere else only British. Shur don't they try to claim any good Irish results as well lol
    Don't believe the hype.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It seems he is affected.

407747.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It seems he is affected.

407747.png

Nice statement.

Go Mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Relax the cacks, Mo. It's only 90 days. The law is the law. Can't be making special considerations here.

You're right there, walshy. Judge puts a hold on the ban for now. For everyone.

It's the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The only "newspapers" that seem to have articles on it so far are the likes of the Daily Heil and The Sun, and Sky being part of the same stable. Wiki page makes no mention of dual nationality.
    Although he was born in Somalia, he moved to Britain when he was eight and now only holds a British passport.

From here: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/29/sir-mo-farah-donald-trump-made-me-an-alien

OSI wrote: »
    I'm sure that'll be very comforting to his kids.

If he parents them and shields them I'm sure it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ooter

If he's not allowed in can he not fly his family home to the UK to live for the 3 months or am i missing something?

walshb wrote: »
    If he parents them and shields them I'm sure it will be.

Like duh, how can he do that when he's training and racing in Europe and they're at home in the States?

ooter wrote: »
    If he's not allowed in can he not fly his family home to the UK to live for the 3 months or am i missing something?

Of course he can. No biggy for Mo. He and his family will survive.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Like duh, how can he do that when he's training and racing in Europe and they're at home in the States?

He's their father. I am sure he'll figure that out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And take them out of school for 3 months? Away from their friends and their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

World badly needs another LHO.

Considering that nobody knew what was going to happen just a couple of days ago, I wouldn't want to be making any predictions about what will happen in another 3 months. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

walshb wrote: »
    Relax the cacks, Mo. It's only 90 days. The law is the law. Can't be making special considerations here.

Can't believe I'm biting but it's an unconstitutional executive order, not the law. If it was me, I'd be getting my family out of the weimar and back to Somalia where they probably have more rights. The land of the free my a$$, US citizens can't even enter the country if they have nationality in one of those countries. Didn't see Trump banning Saudi's, can't afford to drive up those precious oil prices that fuel his multi-billion dollar buisnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

rom wrote: »

A fair compromise that, and not surprising. The U.S. and the UK have always had that special bond. Mo can chill d fook out now. A non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ooter

And take them out of school for 3 months? Away from their friends and their home?

I'd say he did that with his daughter when he moved from London to the us in the first place.
    Looks like he's exempt now anyway.

I'd say he did that with his daughter when he moved from London to the us in the first place.
    Looks like he's exempt now anyway.

People move their families from place to place. Yeah, they change schools, too. No one keeps their children out of school for 3 months unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

ultrapercy wrote: »
    World badly needs another LHO.

Pence is in some ways even scarier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Pence is in some ways even scarier though.

In alot of ways

Advertisement