Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Don't Want To Be A Part of Turas Nua

• 28-01-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey, I'm unemployed, not very long but enough that I now got this mandatory invitation to Turas Nua. Now, they seem nice enough, but I didn't like the very personal questions I got in the questionnaire. I also tried to explain that I couldn't travel far from where I live as I need to be near my mam as she's disabled and I need to check on her everyday to make sure she's ok, and my dad too. So working far away, would be not a good option for me. I've said in another forum, that I use to be an artist, but didn't make that much money from it, and would love to become self employed but can't risk losing my jobseeker's allowance.

Now this Turas Nua thing has thrown me sideways, I don't really want to be a part of it, but I feel like theirs no way out of it, unless I sign off jobseekers? I've found jobs in the past, just due to businesses shutting down or can't afford the extra staff, I've been let go, so it's only the income I'm worrying about.

What should I do, I feel this company is really dodgy, and will end up sending me off somewhere far from where I live, or put me in an internship where I'm not paid at all. I don't know, I need some clear sound advice now.

Should I leave the jobseeker's allowance? But then I have no money, which is pointless, and that might not mean I'm free of Turas Nua?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Should be in state benefits. A mod will move it soon.

Turas Nua is a scam. They want to keep you on books for as long as they can as they get paid by the state for every name on their list. Totally bonkers arrangement.

I'm unaware if you can reject their request and retain JSA/JSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MichaelDunne85

ED E wrote: »
    Should be in state benefits. A mod will move it soon.

Turas Nua is a scam. They want to keep you on books for as long as they can as they get paid by the state for every name on their list. Totally bonkers arrangement.

I'm unaware if you can reject their request and retain JSA/JSB.

Thanks man. Yeah, I've also been wondering, like, if I refuse a job they offer will I also lose my JSA? Anyone know? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Thanks man. Yeah, I've also been wondering, like, if I refuse a job they offer will I also lose my JSA? Anyone know? :)

you'll need a good excuse to refuse a job offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get a job, and you won't have to deal with them.

To qualify for JSA you need to be available for full time work.

Or if your mam is that disabled investigate Caregivers Allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Turas nua only get paid when people are in employment and even at that they don't get the full amount until the person is one year employed and the first payment isn't made until after 13 weeks employment. JSA means Jobseeker's Allowance. Are you sure you're a jobseeker?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

OP you need to apply for Carers Allowance straight away because your not eligible for JSA as your not available for work because your looking after your mam.
    Apply immediately and go and speak to your SW office as to what to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't forget, OP. If you source your own job, ignore any and all contact after that from TN.

It'll be none of their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Turas nua only get paid when people are in employment and even at that they don't get the full amount until the person is one year employed and the first payment isn't made until after 13 weeks employment. JSA means Jobseeker's Allowance. Are you sure you're a jobseeker?

Sounds like he isn't afraid to work, he's not long on social welfare. Do you expect him to pick up his things and move to the other side of the country for a job? With elderly parents at home? It's not unreasonable to expect a job close to home. But to make out he isn't looking because he's not willing to travel, that's low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP they cant make you move to another part of the country for employment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

infogiver wrote: »
    OP you need to apply for Carers Allowance straight away because your not eligible for JSA as your not available for work because your looking after your mam.
    Apply immediately and go and speak to your SW office as to what to do next.

Checking in with parents doesn't make someone ineligible for work. Country is full of people who look after their parents before work, at lunchtime and in the evenings and weekends. It is also true that people cannot be forced to move for work/courses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The Raptor wrote: »
    Sounds like he isn't afraid to work, he's not long on social welfare. Do you expect him to pick up his things and move to the other side of the country for a job? With elderly parents at home? It's not unreasonable to expect a job close to home. But to make out he isn't looking because he's not willing to travel, that's low.

People picked for Turas Nua are unemployed for 12 months or more. If his parents need care he should apply for carers allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The Raptor wrote: »

Where did I say he's afraid to work? No I don't expect him to move but my wife and I look after a relation with dementia daily with both of us working full time in demanding jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MichaelDunne85

eastbono wrote: »
    People picked for Turas Nua are unemployed for 12 months or more. If his parents need care he should apply for carers allowance.

I've only been unemployed 13 months, so a little over. To reply to my folks situation, they come first above all other things in life, over socializing etc. I'm more than happy to work, but I'm not willing to be far away from my parents and I get a call saying one of them has taken a fall or got sick, and it will take me over an hour or so to get back to them.

I don't have any understanding about the carer's allowance as I've always worked, or been in college, and never been far from my folks. So this whole situation is out of what I'm use to, and I also don't like Turas Nua asking me to promote myself online through LinkedIn, which will have where I live, personal information that I would never share online. I didn't like them wanting to sign me up to social media sites with personal information. That was actually another thing that turned me off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

No harm in looking into Carers Allowance
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/carers_allowance.html

In order to qualify, you would need to be giving very hands on and constant help the person for whom you are caring, i.e., with hygiene, meals, medication etc., The application form also requires doctor's certificate etc., http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/cr1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnblack48

Hi,

I am going to chime in here as I was on the scheme myself,

1st of all don't be worried or concerned about it, its not that bad and you can find certain aspects about it helpful.

this is what will happen.

you attend group information session.
    you get assigned a personal advisor which you will meet every 2 weeks for 30 mins.

your personal advisor will ask you what qualifications you have, job area, experience etc.

your personal advisor can ask you to attend 1 day workshop coarse's eg interview skills/confidence etc those kind of things, I was not asked to attend any of these so its very person specific, if you come across as lacking confidence you will get sent on a coarse to build your confidence, so be very confident in yourself and you most likely wont have to attend those.

I finished a 6 week session of 1 hour every week with one of their employer services co-ordinators, you basically go in to the group session and the advisor goes around the room and asks everyone the jobs they applied for and if you followed them up etc, take it with a pinch of salt, at the end of the sessions I was asked to come back and repeat another bout of 6 weeks of the same sessions while no one else was asked to, rather than argue as to why I was singled out in this way, I just play the YES game, if they are wasting my time, I will waste their time, simple as that!

They cannot force you into ANY job that you do not agree to, they also cannot send your cv around anywhere without your permission.

as one person above stated, if you GET a job on your own accord, don't tell them **** and sign off, they should not get commission for you seeking and finding your own job (applying yourself).

Companies go to them and say hey turas nua, we need xx amount of workers, can you find us them? they will then try push those jobs onto people on their books, you are under no obligation to accept any of these roles if you deem them not suitable for you so do not be pushed into anything you are not comfortable with.

Turas Nua is a scam and time wasting company, they are NOT SOCIAL WELFARE but a PRIVATE OWNED COMPANY, REMEMBER THAT!

Good Luck and do not worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The system is working.
    Here is OP who really doesn't seem available for work and this system has identified them and is forcing them to face the truth that they have few options, get on the correct SW payment, get a job, stop claiming SW, engage with them in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnblack48

If you are actively seeking work you have nothing to worry about, there's nothing different being on this scheme when you are actually looking for a job, other than some ring-rosie time wasting.

its not as bad as people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why would you have where you live on linked in? You don't put your address on it. From my linked in you could work out that I generally work in Dublin, but it certainly doesn't show where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've only been unemployed 13 months, so a little over.

OP, this tells us all we need to know.

13 months is a long time to be scratching. There's no "only" about it.

Either you need to get a job, or be on caregivers. If necessary you may need to find some closer help for your parents, which would enable you to expand where you can look for work

Whether it's Turas Nua or just the regular welfare staff who tell you think and teach you how to find a job is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

OP, this tells us all we need to know.

13 months is a long time to be scratching. There's no "only" about it.

Either you need to get a job, or be on caregivers. If necessary you may need to find some closer help for your parents, which would enable you to expand where you can look for work

Whether it's Turas Nua or just the regular welfare staff who tell you think and teach you how to find a job is irrelevant.
    Us? We? Speak for yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Angel Crow

Turas Nua is the greatest load of sh1te ever. And getting a job won't see them off as you'll have to accept their "support" for the first year of employment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement