Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement battery question

Options
  • 28-01-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭

My wife's Samsung laptop needs a new battery, but as with all these things there seems to be a huge choice ranging from compatible batteries on eBay and Amazon for around €20, to Duracell compatible batteries for €60-70, to OEM Samsung batteries for €85+.

Tbh, I know nothing about laptops, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here. Is there any point in getting a cheaper one or is it a case of you get what you pay for and it would be worth shelling out for the Duracell or Samsung batteries?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Try this website. They are really good and prices are reasonable.
    http://www.laptopbatteries.ie/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cheers, I saw them earlier but wasn't sure how good they were. They have the battery I'm looking for and it works out at €15 less for their unbranded one against the Duracell. I suppose what I really want to know is it worth paying that extra €15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Zaph wrote: »
    Cheers, I saw them earlier but wasn't sure how good they were. They have the battery I'm looking for and it works out at €15 less for their unbranded one against the Duracell. I suppose what I really want to know is it worth paying that extra €15?

They are not going to be a whole lot better than what you buy off amazon tbh.I would get one off amazon for in and around the €20,if you are not happy with the battery life you could always send it back and go for the duracell,amazon are excellent for returns as you probably know.

I have found that the cheaper laptop batteries can vary wildly,some of them can be fine,some not so.The cheaper ones are nearly always Chinese made.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are only about 4 factories that actually make the cells. The only difference is the binning. If the OEM pays $1/cell instead of 4$/cell they get the crappy rejects.

There tends to be very little difference between the clones that have a brand name (thus a rep to uphold) and original OEM brand. The no name ones are the ones where you'll find duds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/node/index.html?ie=UTF8&merchant=&node=2420919011

These guys are solid and worth the punt. For €85 you'll get very little extra capacity.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks for that, so it seems that the Duracell is the way to go as a good compromise of avoiding potential duds while getting almost the same performance as an OEM battery?

Unfortunately Anker don't do the type of battery I need as I know their stuff is top quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement