Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre change time.....

Options
  • 28-01-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have a 2004 Transit-based MH, fitted with 215x75 Michelin Camping tyres. The rear two are fine, but the front two are nearing replacement. I can't afford a pair of Michelins, so I'm was planning to fit a slightly cheaper brand. I checked the well-hidden spare today.... it's an unused Michelin. So I figured I'd just buy one new Michelin and problem solved. My question is, is it OK to fit a brand new tyre opposite an as-new tyre that's been stored underneath the MH for a good few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What age are the tyres? You can see the date label in an oval near the DOT marks on the sidewall. The format is week/year so 2507 will be week 25 2007.
    Given the loads that campers put on tyres I would be careful about ages, 5yrs is the recommended max age of a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What age are the tyres? You can see the date label in an oval near the DOT marks on the sidewall. The format is week/year so 2507 will be week 25 2007.
    Given the loads that campers put on tyres I would be careful about ages, 5yrs is the recommended max age of a tyre.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the later (when the rain eases!)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

My van is 1999 reg. When I changed the tyres 3 years ago I found the spare was late 1998. Changed that too!

Advertisement