Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving to Co.Cork ...Family

Options
  • 28-01-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

HI ALL,

We are family of 4, and more and more we are thinking about to change our life by moving from Co. Kildale to Co. Cork.
    We just got our mortgage agreement. We have a few more months to decide..
    We are 40 and 50 years of age and we probably want be able to buy any property close to our jobs which are in Dublin. For 160.000 we could buy in Mullingar, Eddendery, Athy which is more than 40 miles fom where we work. Our time for kids is limited already, so we can't imagine we will spend in our cars so many hours, putting money for childminder, and do not have any single joy of life....which is too short anyway.

We have old friends who live in Co.Cork and they seems to be happy there...Before I asked them for any more opinions, I would love to get your ideas...

We are not people with career ahead, we do normal jobs...as a manufacturing technician and van delivery driver.
    We love classical, avangarde music, art galleries, festivals...good coffee and wine, but also we never like to live in a main cities...just somewhere where is close to them 😠Some good amenities for children not to far away would be great to have too.
    Good schools primary and secondary would be good to have in same town.

We would like to know which town would you recommend to consider to settle in...?

Maybe one of us could try to get the job first, rent the room and see how it is...

I would be very grateful if you give your honest opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

Anyone? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I live in Midleton - just about 25 minutes East of Cork City.
    It's a thriving town, has just about every amenity you'd want. There's a bus and a train service to the city.

Is 160k your budget? Put that into Daft.ie with Midleton as the centre of your search and see what comes up.

Others will recommend other towns, and if you search older threads here you'll see more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

sabinalee wrote: »
    HI ALL,

We love classical, avangarde music, art galleries, festivals...good coffee and wine, but also we never like to live in a main cities...just somewhere where is close to them 😠Some good amenities for children not to far away would be great to have too.
    Good schools primary and secondary would be good to have in same town.

From this point of view, Cork sounds perfect.
    Any of the suburban towns would suit you.

In order of preference, I would suggest
    Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Glanmire and Blarney.
    However, €160,000 wouldn't go far when buying a home for four.

You might try somewhere slightly further out. Carrigtwohill, Cobh or Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

With your budget, I would think you will have to live a considerable distance from the city, further than one of the satellite towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

We have a few viewing a arranged next week. Midleton area a d budget of 160- 165 should be ok. I hope anyway.
    The train, good schools, lots of amenities so maybe not bad idea to relocate.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

sabinalee wrote: »
    We have a few viewing a arranged next week. Midleton area a d budget of 160- 165 should be ok. I hope anyway.
    The train, good schools, lots of amenities so maybe not bad idea to relocate.

Thanks guys

Brilliant. Best of luck.

Advertisement