Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible cycle lane from old limerick to patrickswell railway line

Options
  • 28-01-2017 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi

afaik the railway line from under the roxborough road that crosses childers road has been decommissioned.
    i think it would make a great cycling route as it goes through janesboro , balinacurra , dooradoyle and the back of raheen ind est, and on to partricks well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

It also links to Foynes and a medium term aim of the port is to reopen the rail line for freight so I can't see it being used for a cycle lane. There is a cycle link between Patrickswell and the city but I'm not sure where, I assume it's along the hard-shoulder of some road. Since the council took control of the Great Southern Trail last year they have been talking about linking it to the city from its current end at Rathkeale. This is after they have extended it to Tralee though so I don't know how soon it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

pigtown wrote: »
    There is a cycle link between Patrickswell and the city but I'm not sure where, I assume it's along the hard-shoulder of some road.

There's a marked cycle lane fron Patrickswell to the roundabout before the Co-Op. It's the old Patrickswell to city road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

The idea of using an old railway line as a cycle path is a good one but in practice ( at least the one from NCW to Barna) has too many road crossings which cannot be achieved without dismounting the bike to open/close the gates.

Advertisement