Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Red or Green

Options
  • 28-01-2017 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭

Just a poll to see what the Boardsie PCMR are sporting in their rigs

edit: the poll fecked up for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Team Red, R9 290

No poll option though

*Edit* No particular loyalty towards AMD but I'm not an nVidia fan so it's like a backwards loyalty. I'd prefer not to support nVidia so I support their competitors.

That being said it doesn't hold that much sway for me it just means in times where I'm struggling to make my mind up AMD is where I'll go.

Try to keep it personal though, I try not to let it influence recommendations for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Team Green, though through no particular loyalty. Just they happened to have the best on the market when I was buying. GTX 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

currently team green but i go where the best performance is, if amd destroy my 1080 and the future ti il look their direction. Used a 7970 for 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Team green as well here, the only choice really for me as AMD have nothing to offer in the high-end market at the moment! No qualms about switching if they release something worth buying at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

GTX1070...like everyone else I'll for the best that I can afford at the time of purchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Long time Red fan but their inability to release a card that matched the 1080 made me switch.

I really wanted a 490 but alas it was never announced, now im team green with a 1080

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

team green for two decades,amd while have their moments but seems nvidia is one laying out new tech and amd usually sprouts cheaper option,with less performance.That said due upgrade since my 560ti is overdue and nvidia 1060-1080 seem decently priced,also anyone any idea if theres any price drop coming say march,since need cpu+gpu to go back to latest titles,so saving around 500 for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Team Red here.
    Gotta love their 'Fine-Wine' technology where game performance actually improves with age, i.e. as new drivers are released.
    Definitely extends the life-time of their cards in gaming rigs.
    Suits me great as I'm a patient gamer and I rarely buy the latest games on release.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Green at the moment but have no preference, depends on when I'm in the market whats the best bang per buck at that time.
    Having said that I have a gsync monitor so its green for now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Green ATM too (970), was Red before that (Crossfire 6950s) and Green before that (8800 GTX SLI). It's all about the best bang for buck I can afford at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No brand preference but flying Team Green colors at the moment (1070) as it offered the best bang for buck performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Green but no loyalty. 1060 seemed to give best performance for the price at the time I needed it although i feel I should have stretched for the 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Eagerly awaiting the new top end AMD. I just hope they don't let me down again.
    I've an R9 Fury. It's fine.

Nvidia are ***** but my disloyalty to ***** only goes so far.

Intel are ***** as well but I can't bring myself to get an AMD processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Team green at the moment.

No loyalty, I always go for best bang for to money. At the time 1060 looked good value, but I kind of regret not pushing it to 1070.
    Hopefully amd new gpus will be at least decent and stir prices a bit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Oh, for what it's worth, buying a lesser card with the intention of Crossfiring/SLI'ing is a bad idea. I never had anything but stress with Crossfire, no games supported it properly for weeks after release. You're better off waiting that extra hundred quid (however long it might take you to save it) and getting the better card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Green at the moment,like most its just whatever is available when im getting an upgrade. This time it was Nvidia who had all the high end options so went with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Team green as well. I'd be open to AMD GPU's but I've been with nVidia cards for so long I usually always just go with what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Team green as well currently but whatever has the price/performance for me at the time. This made me think of my gfx card history. Not sure if I can even recall it accurately but it was along the lines of this:

Nvidia 2 MX
    ATI X1900XTX
    ATI 4870
    ATI 6950
    Nvidia 1080

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Green, no loyalty. Just scrooging.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was a long time console gamer. But my first non gaming GPU was a team green GT 240, then I started PC gaming and got a GTX 580 then switched to team RED with a R9 290 and now a R9 Fury X. And I will be a long time team red from now on.

• Advertisement

I was a long time console gamer. But my first non gaming GPU was a team green GT 240, then I started PC gaming and got a GTX 580 then switched to team RED with a R9 290 and now a R9 Fury X. And I will be a long time team red from now on.

Why would you show brand loyalty like that?

If next time you went to buy a gpu and Nvidia by far had the better option for you,you wouldnt buy it because its not an AMD product?

Not havin a go,just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nvidia, the wife you want to leave but the sex is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Nvidia, the wife you want to leave but the sex is great.

hahaha perfect :D intels the dangerous bit on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Might a be a typo but I would have held out for one.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-high-resolution-texture-pack-arrives-next-week-for-pc/
    Your PC will also need to meet or exceed the recommended specs:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
    Intel Core i7-5820K or better
    GTX 1080 8GB/AMD Radeon RX 490 8GB
    8GB+ Ram

dreamers75 wrote: »

I mentioned that in a different thread last night. I doubt it is a typo as a RX 480 is no where near the performance of a 1080 and just the naming of the new Vega GPU. They must be scrapping the Fury name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Team Green for now (got my GPU at basically half-price), kind of want to switch back to Team Red.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Why would you show brand loyalty like that?

If next time you went to buy a gpu and Nvidia by far had the better option for you,you wouldnt buy it because its not an AMD product?

Not havin a go,just curious.

I don't agree with Nvidia's business practices. They deliberately ruin games on AMD and they pay their way into game developers pockets. Nvidia hair works and such shíte springs to mind.

I don't agree with Nvidia's business practices. They deliberately ruin games on AMD and they pay their way into game developers pockets. Nvidia hair works and such shíte springs to mind.

Cool,i agree a lot of Nvidia practices leave a lot to be desired. Ive had Nvidia for last two cards and i dont use their gameworks stuff either. Found it not to be worth the performance hit in most cases.

I dont know if i could bring myself to buy something that i knew may not be the best available because of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't forget nVidia giving the linux community the middle finger.

8800GTX
    ->
    5770 PMD1G
    ->
    7870 Royal King

In line for an upgrade now as I built a completely new rig not too long ago but retained the GPU. No time to game recently though so not bothered to purchase just yet. Will wait to see how Vega does and then probably buy a 1070 or the red equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jrby

I've a question.....I've a GTX570, and mostly play BF1, seems to play fine....is there any point in upgrading?

Advertisement