Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmony Hub + Alexa

Options
  • 27-01-2017 10:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a Harmony Hub for use with my Echo - works brilliantly for turning on and off the tv setup by voice. I can change to a few channels but not all. However one thing that annoys me is I can control the tv ok, but not my virgin media box. Can anyone suggest how I can get this working better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Keep getting tempted by the novelty of the harmony hub and echo dot. Might jump on it when the bundle price drops again but I've noticed the ultimate remote and hub has dropped to ?109 on amazon. The remote never really interested me just the app but is that something I'm likely going to regret not buying or is the app plus Alexa really the best setup?

Also any issues with the IR blasters hitting a wall mounted tv and soundbar?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You definitely regret not getting the remote.

I'd say my usage looks like:
    - 10% Voice - Mostly turn on/off TV, the odd time change channel/mute while hands are full with the baby.
    - 5% App - Lost remote or setup
    - 85% Remote

Reality is you just can't beat a good physical remote. App and voice or a nice novelty, but not really good enough IME.

Have 2 Harmony Hubs, Elite Remote, Ultimate Remote, Alexa, Google Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Hi Guys - are your Harmony hubs still working with Alexa? I had them working some time ago, they stopped working and I never investigated. However, when I started investigating at the weekend I can no longer find the skills available on Alexa. Have they been removed? I hate geoblocking!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've had the Harmony/Alexa for almost two years and my usage looks like this:

Voice commands: .01%
    App: .01%
    Remote: 99.98%

Control also works with my lights, so haven't used a light switch in that time...

Harmony hub with basic remote; Echo Dot; Hue hub over three rooms and balcony with sensors, bulbs and strips; Arlo camera; Kasa socket, Chromecast; Shield TV; Smart TV; Chromecast Audio X 7; Android Auto

Some day I'll get serious about H.A...

Hi Bluefoam - do you have harmony skills on Alexa? I can no longer seem to find them on the Alexa skills search.

Thanks

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've had the Harmony/Alexa for almost two years and my usage looks like this:

Voice commands: .01%
    App: .01%
    Remote: 99.98%

Control also works with my lights, so haven't used a light switch in that time...

Harmony hub with basic remote; Echo Dot; Hue hub over three rooms and balcony with sensors, bulbs and strips; Arlo camera; Kasa socket, Chromecast; Shield TV; Smart TV; Chromecast Audio X 7; Android Auto

Some day I'll get serious about H.A...

• Advertisement

Yeh... Installed them when i got the machine... there's a blue skills app and a red one. Don't know the difference, I just installed them and they seem to work okay. I live in a technological backwater, so the TV providers & even the cable boxes are so archaic that I can't change channels by voice command... I can tell it to turn on/off the TV or the Android box... which in turn switches on/off the lights via the harmony hub...

Just checked & both seem to be available via the Alexa app. The blue one seems to be the primary & red if you have a second hub set up....

Just checked & both seem to be available via the Alexa app. The blue one seems to be the primary & red if you have a second hub set up....

Thanks for checking Bluefoam. I see you are based outside of Ireland - perhaps this is why you are seeing them and I am not. They were available in the past but they aren't there any longer. Please see the attached image - it says there are four search results but actually only shows two (none of which are the harmony skills).

Thanks for your help with this.

Thanks for checking Bluefoam. I see you are based outside of Ireland - perhaps this is why you are seeing them and I am not. They were available in the past but they aren't there any longer. Please see the attached image - it says there are four search results but actually only shows two (none of which are the harmony skills).

Thanks for your help with this.

Yep, you seem to be GeoBlocked... Doesn't really make sense because Ireland is closer to getting an official launch than we are here... Have you tried setting your location as NY & then trying to get the skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've setup my Harmony Hub (Ultimate) today and added the Alexa skill.

Tried "Alexa, turn on the TV" and she complains she can't find "TV" despite it being one of the friendly names?

Also the Harmony Hub doesn't seem to be able to turn on my PS4 even though I've added it as a bluetooth controller.

If I can't get Alexa to control the TV and PS4 I have no need of the Harmony Hub as I already have the remotes (don't care about an all-in-one)

• Advertisement

You need to set up tasks in the harmony app

You need to set up tasks in the harmony app

Don't see tasks but I've added a few Activities?

So I have "Watch TV" for example

mrcheez wrote: »
    Don't see tasks but I've added a few Activities?

So I have "Watch TV" for example
    Check which harmony skill set you have...
    1. Computer, turn on TV
    2. Computer, tell Harmony to turn on TV

It appears to be working now, though I'm still having trouble connecting to the PS4 (in order to play BluRays) ... The bluetooth device takes about a minute to appear, but even once selected it disconnects.

Things that do work via Alexa are:
    - turn on/off tv
    - turn on fire tv stick
    - change volume

Can't seem to get it to pause YouTube on the fire tv yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I've set up over 30 favourite channels through the Harmony Android app but when I go into Alexa and select discover new scenes and devices it finds nothing.

I go back into the Harmony app and select reset favorites and it says no favourite channels have been set up.

So I do it again and it's the same thing over and over again it feels like I'm going round in circles.

Just in case anyone checks back in on this thread. I got all the UK skills available on Alexa by doing what's outlined in this video (but setting to UK rather than US):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5rExW-7I8

It means I have the Sonos skill also which is a big bonus.

Do I need the remote if I just intend to control this thing using Alexa?

I don't really have enough plug spaces left in my media centre so can only really plug in the hub.

(maybe I can sell on the remote if it's not required)

Do I need the remote if I just intend to control this thing using Alexa?

I don't really have enough plug spaces left in my media centre so can only really plug in the hub.

(maybe I can sell on the remote if it's not required)
    If you don't want the remote, then sell it...

If you don't want the remote, then sell it...

Actually, going to sell the lot instead (or return to Amazon)

The whole point of my purchase was to control my media centre hands-free using Alexa.

It *sometimes* works but then doing the exact same command later on and it doesn't work. It's really buggy.

It's a shame as the remote seems to work fine, but I really don't need a €130 remote just to save me using two or three other remotes.

Alexa has 0 problems controlling my lights via Hue, and my smartplugs.

After having lots of trouble with this over the past few weeks I was ready to pack it up and return to Amazon when it occurred to me to try out one of the boosters that came with it.

Wow what a world of difference now. I can use Alexa to change channels, "Alexa watch CNN / BBC1 /etc", pause/rewind/fast-forward live TV, change volume and turn on my fire stick, plus turn everything off. All without having to pull out a remote (well except for the FireTV remote, I still need that for controlling YouTube/Kodi).

So it's a solid buy now... just remember to use the booster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Virgin Media box got replaced and skill to turn on and off TV not working.

Been a while since set it up.

Anyone assist with quick recap how to set up simple skills to do this

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have a harmony one remote control. Is the harmony hub enough to add alexa or do i need to upgrade the remote to a harmony hub and/or elite too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

After having lots of trouble with this over the past few weeks I was ready to pack it up and return to Amazon when it occurred to me to try out one of the boosters that came with it.

Wow what a world of difference now. I can use Alexa to change channels, "Alexa watch CNN / BBC1 /etc", pause/rewind/fast-forward live TV, change volume and turn on my fire stick, plus turn everything off. All without having to pull out a remote (well except for the FireTV remote, I still need that for controlling YouTube/Kodi).

So it's a solid buy now... just remember to use the booster!

Yes, I echo that. Alexa turn on tv, Alexa turn on music, (turns on receiver and switches to music input so i can ask alexa to play spotify through my surround speakers setup. ) Nice experience. Probably will only use for the music though. Cant see me continuing to ask ALEXA to turn on BBC1

I actually use Alexa exclusively now for changing channels, or pausing live TV. So cool to just tell her to change channels while I eat my dinner or tidying up etc.
    Haven't actually pulled out the TV remote in a month now.

Also find it excellent for pausing my BluRays, or changing volume while watching in 3D. Can never find the remote when wearing those 3D shades :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AutomateMyCrap

Has anyone managed to add the Harmony Alexa skill recently? It's geo-blocked in Ireland now, and even if I change the location of my Echo Dots to UK, and default Amazon address to UK, it still won't let me add it. I also spoke to Amazon chat support, and they ensured my location was set to UK, but it still won't allow it.
    Anything else that I could try?

Advertisement