Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need answers please car traveling

Options
  • 27-01-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello to all of you who reads this,
    I want to travel with my car through europe and go to moldova and stay for 2-3 weeks or month.. from ireland what do i need? or is normal insurance and tax cover for europe too? thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

Oh i see thank you so much, so at the border i guess i have to pay. thanks:)

I guess i have to talk to someone that traveled there with the car and see what to do. and insurance wise too
    cheers.

• Advertisement

Okay so everywhere through europe i need nothing to show just documents for my car etc.. and when i arrive at the border have the card and or pay for it okay thank you. helped me.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It is very important to check local rules in relation to safety requirements (ie things you need to have in the car at all times.)

Various European countries have strict rules and in some, like Portugal, you will need to have cash available to you for spot fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try telling that to a French Police Officer at the side of a road when they are doing you for no High Viz or spare bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

While that is correct in principle, it's not as easy as it sounds and the OP should check the laws of each country he wants to travel through.
    You have basically two different provisions. The first is what the vehicle needs to be equipped with. For this, the rules of the country the vehicle is registered in, apply. The second are rules that the driver has to obey while driving, for these the rules of the country one is driving in apply.
    It's not always easy to distinguish. For example in Poland, a car has to have a fire extinguisher, but this falls under the first provision, so only Polish registered vehicles have to carry it, visiting cars don't. The high-Viz jackets in France fall under the second provision, so everyone, including visiting cars, have to have it.
    In addition, you have to look at the laws that sourround driving. For the high-Viz jackets in France for example, you also need them if you walk on the side of a motorway, e.g. after an accident or a break down, so you would still need them in the car for these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Some European countries insist that high vis jackets are stored in the passenger cabin of the car as opposed to the boot/trunk. Before alighting from the vehicle, you must put on the high viz jacket. On the spot fines are imposed for breaches of those regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I think france also requires a first aid kit to be carried in vehicle

Advertisement