Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym tips for beginner

Options
  • 27-01-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello I'm just after joining the gym this week I'm a male 18 years old and 70kg. Im pretty skinny and want to put on muscle and strength, what is the best way to do this ? Is protein necessary ? I was thinking of buying a protein like serious mass optimum nutrition ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Spend a few days with a personal trainer to learn good form. Form is everything.
    Also, don't worry about the numbers on the weights. Just lift the ones that are the right weight for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭CPTM

eeguy wrote:
    Spend a few days with a personal trainer to learn good form. Form is everything. Also, don't worry about the numbers on the weights. Just lift the ones that are the right weight for you.

This is key. Please resist the urge to forget it for the sake of ego. Also, there's a 12 week programme on bodybuilding.com that really worked for me. It has video tutorials and nutrition advice too. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Good few programs out there. Stronglifts or ice cream fitness are generally pretty decent starter programs. Any program with the big 3 (squat, bench and deadlift) and weekly progression (more weight, reps or sets) will do you finish though. Progression is key at the start.

On the nutrition side of things you'll need to eat more to build muscle. If you have a typical Irish diet then you're gonna have to up the protein alright. You don't need a protein shake or a mass gainer to do this. You can get it from meat and dairy.

A good goal to aim for is about 1g/lb of bodyweight. So you'd want roughly 160g of protein over the day. It'll initially seem like loads but once you start focusing on it and having a decent healthy diet it's very easy to hit this. I fairly regularly overshoot mine. A typical 150g chicken breast has 20-25g of protein.

To measure how many calories and macros (protein, carbs and fat) you're getting use an app like my fitness pal. Spend about a week measuring everything you eat to get an idea of where you are at the moment. I'd advice measuring raw ingredients and entering them that way. If you don't wanna do this or can't due to parents cooking etc then just eat the way you would normally but sometime during the day fit in an additional high protein, high carb meal or start making high calorie shakes with some peanut butter, milk, banana and oats. Much cheaper than gainer shakes.

Advertisement