Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me find my new IP cam.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

If you can't find it on the network, how have you the ip of the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

fastest way would be to use a net scanner app on your phone.

Depending on what kind of router you have, you might be able to see it from the router's console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

paulbok wrote: »
    If you can't find it on the network, how have you the ip of the camera?

The ip address is written on the cam and the box. With the password

This is my router

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/equipment/

ok, what is the ip address of the camera, and what is the ip address of the router?

On the box the ip is 192.168.1.136

My router ip is http://192.168.0.1/

• Advertisement

ok, they are on different subnets, so you will have a problem getting from one to the other.

it's a bit of work, but what you need to do is change the ip address of the router temporarily to 192.168.1.1

Then you will be able to see the camera, then change the ip address of the camera to 192.168.0.something (outside your dhcp range)

then change the ip address of the router back.

alternatively, change the ip address of the router to 192.168.1.1, and leave it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

On the box the ip is 192.168.1.136

My router ip is http://192.168.0.1/

Change your router IP to 192.168.1.1 and you should see it. You can change the IP of the cam to 192.168.0.136 and return your router to 192.168.0.1 again and you should be back to normal service.

Change your router IP to 192.168.1.1 and you should see it. You can change the IP of the cam to 192.168.0.136 and return your router to 192.168.0.1 again and you should be back to normal service.

Thanks. Im going to have to figure out how to do that .

make sure you do this with a wired connection to the router, not wifi.

when you change the ip address of the router, you will lose connection to it, so you might have to set a static ip address on the laptop/desktop as well temporarily.

Holy hell. Nothing is ever handy. This router will not easly let me change the IP I got this from a forum
    Hi,

Sorry I didn't see the replies here before. As I've now had several people message me for instructions, and they've (so far) all been successful in changing their IP address with no issues, I'm now going to post my instructions here - I hope this is OK.

It's a bit difficult to explain but I'll try to do so as simply as I can. Basically it seems like most of the Superhub 3's web admin interface is built using JavaScript, and uses AJAX to communicate with the underlying system (somehow using SNMP, by the looks of it). So that means it is possible to set things which aren't available in the interface at all, if you can figure out the right command etc to use.

So to start with, you need to be able to see what URLs are being loaded via AJAX. I don't know how you might do this in other browsers, but I use Chrome, and in that you can do it by opening the development console (F12) and then right clicking in the console and making sure Log XMLHTTPRequests is ticked.

You then need to log into your router's admin page, and then look at the URLs that are loaded after that in the console (basically just wait until it finishes loading the main admin page - i.e. after logging in with your password - then pick the last URL shown in the console). You'll notice it has n=something (a number) in it. That number seems to be used like an authentication code - it changes when you log in, and if you try to load a URL which doesn't have the correct number for the current session, you won't get any response and it will actually log you out (i.e. if you try to click anything in the admin panel you'll be sent back to the login page, and will have to log in again and get a fresh number).

So once you've logged in, copy the n= number shown in the console for use in the later steps.

Assuming your router is currently still at 192.168.0.1, and you want to change it to 192.168.1.1, the URLs you need are:

http://192.168.0.1/snmpSet?oid=1.3.6.1.4.1.4115.1.20.1.1.2.2.1.5.200=%24c0a80101;4;&_n=0
    http://192.168.0.1/snmpSet?oid=1.3.6.1.4.1.4115.1.20.1.1.2.2.1.11.200=%24C0A8010A;4;&_n=0
    http://192.168.0.1/snmpSet?oid=1.3.6.1.4.1.4115.1.20.1.1.2.2.1.13.200=%24c0a801fe;4;&_n=0
    http://192.168.0.1/snmpSet?oid=1.3.6.1.4.1.4115.1.20.1.1.9.0=1;2;&_n=0

The first one is to set the actual local IP address of the router to 192.168.1.1, the second is to set the start of the DHCP address range to 192.168.1.10, and the third is to set the end of the DHCP range to 192.168.1.254 (i.e. the same as the defaults but in the 192.168.1 range). Each of these IP addresses is hex encoded (starting after the %24 and ending before the semicolon), so you can use an online IP address converter to convert other addresses to the proper format (although I haven't tried setting any others and don't know whether that might cause any issues, especially if you use a completely different range like 10.). The fourth one seems to be used to finish applying any settings that have been changed.

So what you need to do is, after logging in and getting the current n= number from the console, replace the 0 at the end of each of these URLs with that number (I'd recommend doing them all beforehand in Notepad), and then load each one in a new tab in your browser, in the above order. When you load each one, you should get a plain response which shows the value of the changed setting (don't worry too much about checking this, as long as you don't get a completely blank response). When you load the final URL which applies the settings, your Superhub should then immediately sort everything out for you by moving to its new IP address and assigning you a new local IP from the new DHCP range. So I didn't have to do anything else, but you may find that you have to force a renewal of your IP address from whatever device you're using. The only slight issue I had was that I then couldn't log back into the admin panel for about 15-20 minutes, as it said someone else was already logged in (which would have been me at my old, no longer usable local IP address).

If by any chance something does go wrong, I would try manually assigning yourself an IP address in the 192.168.0 range and try accessing the router at 192.168.0.1, and then try the same for the 192.168.1 range with the router at 192.168.1.1. If this doesn't work and you get completely stuck with no access to anything, you might have to factory reset the router (although I don't actually know how you do that) - so just make sure you're prepared for that (or have an alternate way of accessing the internet to find out what to do). So obviously this is all at your own risk - I don't take any responsibility for what might happen, although it all worked fine for me.

Hope this helps and all makes sense - let me know if any of it isn't clear.

Kind regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

This is how to do it without changing your network.

The idea is to connect one time to the camera, using a network cable, plugged directly into your computer.

Connect Camera to PC via network cable.

Set the IP address of your PC manually (you'll have to google specifics for your version of operating system, eg "manually set ip windows 7".

Change it to 192.168.1.1, Subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway is not needed.

You can then open a browser: http://192.168.1.136 and it should open the camera interface, change it's IP, you will loose connectivity - that's OK.

Plug camera into normal network

Set your PC settings back to the way they were (almost certainly to "automatically get settings"), and plug back into network.

All done.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Didn't read the whole thread but the hub 3.0 restricts .1.x, you can't use it. Silly setup by VM.

You need to config it with a direct link to a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I persume that the op may require a cross over cable.

I cant get it to work. I guess it may be faulty.

Even with the instruction above and plugging it into the laptop.

I cant get it to work. I guess it may be faulty.

Even with the instruction above and plugging it into the laptop.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ted1 wrote:
    I persume that the op may require a cross over cable.

There's some great advice here , I had a bit of a brain fart myself trying something similar on a wifi extender recently. Something I'd done many times before

So as not to mess things up I asked for help and felt embarrassed afterwards!!

I just used one of the old eircom routers I had as "Spare " in the attic.

Set my laptop to dynamic IP address ,

Logged into the old router and set it up to match the fixed address arrangement of the new device

Then I attached the new device and logged into it, I changed its credentials to match my home network and I was good to go, nothing to change back.

Anyway I'd forgotten that the handiest way without crossover cables etc was to make a second network on an old spare router.

Note I understand that this has been answered very well above and possibly this was suggested too, but you might have an old router or could borrow one faster than a crossover cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Unless the PC is years and years old, it will have auto detect for Tx and RX, effectively allowing it to crossover if it needs to.

Advertisement