Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what laptop do I need?

Options
  • 27-01-2017 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

I need a new laptop. My 14 month old €1100 lenovo yoga3 went to lenovo for repair. They are saying it was dropped and will cost £529stg to repair.
    I'm never spending that much on a laptop again.

I now have to buy a replacement.

I need it fast enough to use a cloud based accounting system for my work, usual web browsing and for kids to do school projects etc. Also fast enough for streaming.

What should I be looking for in terms of processor and memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Based on your requirements all you need is an i3 with 8GB RAM (maybe not even that). Find something with a SSD and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Was your Lenovo dropped? If not then it is worth fighting this. Small claims court could be an option.

If it was dropped and is damaged somehow, think of sending it to a computer repair shop to see what they can do. They may be able to repair for a lot less than Lenovo are asking.

Was your Lenovo dropped? If not then it is worth fighting this. Small claims court could be an option.

If it was dropped and is damaged somehow, think of sending it to a computer repair shop to see what they can do. They may be able to repair for a lot less than

I have just looked at photos attached to lenovo quote showing about a square inch of crackly screen in top corner and a small crack on outside casing. There was no damage when I sent it.
    I had already sent it to pc know how as I had purchased from pc world. Their repair centre said there was a chip problem and it would cost me £350 to replace the board. I contacted lenovo as I didn't think this was acceptable after 14 months use. They arranged to collect from me to take a look. 8 weeks after collection and many emails trying to figure out where my laptop was, this is what I received today. A couple of weeks ago I got an email requesting proof it was collected from me even though on their live chat I was assured it was in a backlog.
    I think it was mislaid somewhere and got damaged.

tina1040 wrote: »

If it was dropped and is damaged somehow, think of sending it to a computer repair shop to see what they can do. They may be able to repair for a lot less than

I have just looked at photos attached to lenovo quote showing about a square inch of crackly screen in top corner and a small crack on outside casing. There was no damage when I sent it.
    I had already sent it to pc know how as I had purchased from pc world. Their repair centre said there was a chip problem and it would cost me £350 to replace the board. I contacted lenovo as I didn't think this was acceptable after 14 months use. They arranged to collect from me to take a look. 8 weeks after collection and many emails trying to figure out where my laptop was, this is what I received today. A couple of weeks ago I got an email requesting proof it was collected from me even though on their live chat I was assured it was in a backlog.
    I think it was mislaid somewhere and got damaged.

Sorry I think I clicked some wrong buttons there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Couriers have been known to play football with such packages.

Give Lenovo a bollicking until they claim it back from the courier/admit blame. It would be good if you had pictures but hindsight is 20/20.

Advertisement