Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: laptop problem

Options
  • 27-01-2017 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I had to load windows 8.1 onto my laptop again so when I went to install one of the drivers and it finished, it restarted itself, and then when I switched it back on, it would make a noise as if it was coming on, but then it wouldn't come on. I am not at home at the moment but before I left the house this morning, I switched it on, hoping that would drain the battery, plug the charger back in when I get back to the house, switch it on and then hopefully.....

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

leemaree wrote: »
    I had to load windows 8.1 onto my laptop again so when I went to install one of the drivers and it finished, it restarted itself, and then when I switched it back on, it would make a noise as if it was coming on, but then it wouldn't come on. I am not at home at the moment but before I left the house this morning, I switched it on, hoping that would drain the battery, plug the charger back in when I get back to the house, switch it on and then hopefully.....

Any ideas?

What driver did you install? What do you mean it would make a noise like it was coming on? The noise of fans? Or the noise of Windows logging in?

If you installed a wrong graphics driver, perhaps it has messed with the display, but we really need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

What driver did you install? What do you mean it would make a noise like it was coming on? The noise of fans? Or the noise of Windows logging in?

If you installed a wrong graphics driver, perhaps it has messed with the display, but we really need more info.

I can't remember weather it was a Bios upgrade or a graphics upgrade. I reckon it was the fan starting up, and then no display on the screen after that no logo or nothing, it was like I installed or updated something wrong when I was installing 8.1 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Well if you've just re-installed windows I'd suggest you do that again and this time be careful which drivers you update.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Well if you've just re-installed windows I'd suggest you do that again and this time be careful which drivers you update.

That's the thing I'd tried reloading but nothing is happening. When I turn it on it sounds as if it comes on but then goes dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

leemaree wrote: »
    That's the thing I'd tried reloading but nothing is happening. When I turn it on it sounds as if it comes on but then goes dead.

Do you get to the BIOS screen ok?
    Is there any windows sounds like its starting?
    Can you just about see the screen but very faded or with shining torch
    Have you tried an external screen maybe tv?

Also try removing battery and power lead from laptop and keep hitting the power on button about 5 times or so.
    Then reconnect battery and power lead. Try booting again.

• Advertisement

jhud wrote: »
    Do you get to the BIOS screen ok?
    Is there any windows sounds like its starting?
    Can you just about see the screen but very faded or with shining torch
    Have you tried an external screen maybe tv?

Also try removing battery and power lead from laptop and keep hitting the power on button about 5 times or so.
    Then reconnect battery and power lead. Try booting again.

No, absolutely nothing is showing up. It's not faded. Might try power button 5 times and see

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You mentioned that you may have updated the BIOS... perhaps that's where the issue lies. Updating the BIOS shouldn't be taken lightly, as you now know!

You mentioned that you may have updated the BIOS... perhaps that's where the issue lies. Updating the BIOS shouldn't be taken lightly, as you now know!

Anything I can do or am I ****ed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Try turning on laptop ,hold down f8 key,
    go to safe mode, vga mode, use arrow keys,up,down and enter key to
    navigate the safe mode menu.
    I would never update the bios on a pc as unless its done perfectly theres
    a risk of killing the pc.

Or else
    remove laptop battery ,hold down power button for 30 seconds .
    then reboot the laptop.
    see if it boots up windows ,or gives acess to bios menu.
    i would never update the firmware on any device as its too risky and there
    is little benefit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

If there's nothing happening on the screen at all it sounds like you've fecked the BIOS. You'll more than likely need a new motherboard - if you're not too technical it's time to bring it to a repair shop.
    If you are technical you should be able to buy a replacement from the likes of ebay.

• Advertisement

Just to let you's now that I bought it to a repair shop and its fixed

Advertisement