Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concentrating while running hard/racing.

Options
  • 27-01-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a fella recently and said something along the lines of, "I had to concentrate really hard to hold on to the guys in front of me". It was in reference to a 10k race I think.

Your man thought I was taking the Michael. What is concentration in running, he says. I found it tough enough to explain. I said, you can't leave your mind wander, you have to focus on the effort you're putting in.

Then it got me thinking. Is it easier to concentrate in a race where you have people to run with, or people just ahead and behind? What about when you're on your own, in training or in a race?

Do people have special tricks to keep them focused?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    I was talking to a fella recently and said something along the lines of, "I had to concentrate really hard to hold on to the guys in front of me". It was in reference to a 10k race I think.

Your man thought I was taking the Michael. What is concentration in running, he says. I found it tough enough to explain. I said, you can't leave your mind wander, you have to focus on the effort you're putting in.

Then it got me thinking. Is it easier to concentrate in a race where you have people to run with, or people just ahead and behind? What about when you're on your own, in training or in a race?

Do people have special tricks to keep them focused?

I don't know if this falls into a concentration bucket or a distraction one.

But sometimes towards the end of a race or session I'll count my steps, example; 1 mile left running at 6min pace, I'll think 500 strides left and then count each time my right foot hits the ground.
    I find you can tune out of the pain and focus on form and trying to keep the cadence up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would all depend on your motivation at that point as well and are you racing the person or the clock?

If racing the person infront then it can help having them to try and chase down, but if they get a stride ahead at the wrong moment then all of a sudden you'll fall away. Takes concentration to anticipate that when you go round that corner/ tree/ lapped runner/ pot hole the position will change and suddenly you'll find yourself distracted and the elastic will snap. If you are being chased down by someone does the sound of their foot steps motivate you or freak you out that you are about to get overtaken, can you manage to drop the chasing runner by taking a better line around the next corner.

If you are racing the clock have you calculated your splits correctly, do you know how far away the finish is, if you put the foot down now will you actually be able to hold that pace until the line or will you start to fade 100m too soon and then not look quite as fantastic as you'd hoped in the finish line pictures.

All sorts to concentrate on and make sure that you are still putting one foot infront of the other as easily and quickly as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I use the imaginary elastic band when chasing someone.

Stay close to them and you'll find it easier to keep up, getting towed.

But once the band stretches too much, it'll snap and the other runner will disappear into the distance.

You'll end up running slower.

The key is not to let the gap get too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

As you tire, your stride will tend to shorten, and you have to react by increasing cadence or concentrating on maintaining your stride length.

I think a lot of that is automatic when you are in a group holding on to people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I find the ability to remain focused during a hard run is as much a trained skill as the physical act of running itself. It takes practise just as much as the physical side of things.

I find it easy enough to keep focus when there are guys (or gals!) right in front of me, but when running on my own I still find on occasions that the pace has slipped without me even noticing.

Motivation is a big part of it. When I REALLY want a result it's much easier to keep hurting and to remember to keep hurting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I find the ability to remain focused during a hard run is as much a trained skill as the physical act of running itself. It takes practise just as much as the physical side of things.

I find it easy enough to keep focus when there are guys (or gals!) right in front of me, but when running on my own I still find on occasions that the pace has slipped without me even noticing.

Motivation is a big part of it. When I REALLY want a result it's much easier to keep hurting and to remember to keep hurting.

That is exactly what I mean. So easy to let pace slip if you're not paying attention. And I love the second highlight.... to remember to keep hurting. I'll be using that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

When things are getting tough in a session or a race, I count down the amount of time I have left. I always have an idea of what to expect time wise in a race and in a session the reps are pre-planned by distance or time so its easy work out what's left. It means I can say to myself eg you have only 2 mins left or 1 mile to go at this pace will take x.xx

In a race I also use the elastic band scenario and use it when things are tough to be pulled along by someone ahead and as I pick off runners I move the elastic to the next target and I always use it going up hills!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

For me concentrating when the intensity is going up in the middle to latter half of a race is not about the pace but rather trying stay relaxed at pace. As we begin to tire we work harder and harder to maintain pace and as such we tend to tighten up and fight our own bodies mechanics (shoulders and arms tense up, strides shorten etc) and suddenly we are working harder for slower paces. By staying relaxed we are trying to use energy as efficiently as possible in order to get best performance from ourselves but there can be many factors to this stemming from long before race day (sleep, stress and other factors which are a mental drain that can impact concentration levels)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

For me concentrating when the intensity is going up in the middle to latter half of a race is not about the pace but rather trying  stay relaxed at pace. As we begin to tire we work harder and harder to maintain pace and as such we tend to tighten up and fight our own bodies mechanics (shoulders and arms tense up, strides shorten etc) and suddenly we are working harder for slower paces. By staying relaxed we are trying to use energy as efficiently as possible in order to get best performance from ourselves but there can be many factors to this stemming from long before race day (sleep, stress and other factors which are a mental drain that can impact concentration levels)
    Myles, I agree the staying relaxed bit is vital. I don't know if it's the same as the concentration debate. With relaxing, I find it especially tough in the latter part of a marathon. I seem to be ok at shorter distances, maybe not surprisingly. In one marathon where I was starting to struggle and lose time with about 8/10 k to go, a bloke came on my shoulder and commented on the fact that I was all tensed up. I knew I was, I agreed with him but I found it very difficult to get back to 'relaxed' running. I tried dropping the arms, breathing in deeply and so on. Still struggled though and it is definitely a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    Myles, I agree the staying relaxed bit is vital. I don't know if it's the same as the concentration debate. With relaxing, I find it especially tough in the latter part of a marathon. I seem to be ok at shorter distances, maybe not surprisingly. In one marathon where I was starting to struggle and lose time with about 8/10 k to go, a bloke came on my shoulder and commented on the fact that I was all tensed up. I knew I was, I agreed with him but I found it very difficult to get back to 'relaxed' running. I tried dropping the arms, breathing in deeply and so on. Still struggled though and it is definitely a handicap.

Agree with this also, practice in training obviously, end of long runs, hard sessions etc.
    Recall a runner think it was Chris Thompson where his coach noticed he frowned when under pressure, so they used to focus on getting him to relax his eyebrows :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 PeadarK

I find the easiest thing to do is hold onto someone and relax into a good steady rhythm behind them and not concentrate too hard!
    Let them do the work!

Advertisement