Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Colostomy -feeling overwhelmed !!

Options
  • 27-01-2017 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all !! A newbie here so i am a little nervous about starting this thread.....The title pretty much sums up where i am at ! I had a colostomy done a few months back... i knew it was going to be a big adjustment , but for the most part i'm ok with changing and cleaning etc now.

Where my main issue arises is with food !! The do's and don'ts if you will ! There seems to be so much conflicting advise on the web. I am TERRIFIED of making a mistake and eating something that will cause a blockage.. the fear probably has taken over more than it should but it has done so and it has me in a heap.

I am very private about my medical issues and dont openly discuss them with family and friends... only a select few. I know nobody else with a colostomy and thought perhaps any body out there could share some of their knowledge.

I apologise if all this sounds like nonsense but it has taken me a lot of courage to start discussing this...Thank you !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I don't know if there are - but they should be a few Facebook groups for people with a colostomy bag (in ireland or uk etc) which could be a place to talk to people with the same procedure done.
    You could also talk to your doctor again about advise as they will be asked this type of thing very often.
    But a few people on boards have ileostomy/colostomy bags so hopefully will see this thread - sorry I can't be much more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LTD85

Thank you so much for the reply ! A group on facebook sounds like a good idea.. i will certainly look into that although i am not sure if that would mean all the people i have added to my friends list would then be aware of my Colostomy ! As i said i like to keep medical aspects of my life private.. but thank you again for the suggestion ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

LTD85 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the reply ! A group on facebook sounds like a good idea.. i will certainly look into that although i am not sure if that would mean all the people i have added to my friends list would then be aware of my Colostomy ! As i said i like to keep medical aspects of my life private.. but thank you again for the suggestion ☺

As far as I know, if the groups you request to join on Facebook are private - then your friend list do not know.
    My friends are not aware of some groups I am on due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP so glad you have posted; online support groups with their anonymity, are great for so many things. Not just on facebook; google it? I have had a lot of help over the years with various things. Rarely even need to join as they are open to visitors to read. Good luck...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Closed groups on Facebook can only be seen by members, Your friends outside the group won't be able to read anything you post . I'm in a few MS groups , all of them are closed - it's great , you can ask ANYTHING !

• Advertisement
Advertisement