Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are students under too much stress?

Options
  • 26-01-2017 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I was reading an article yesterday about how teenagers are under too much stress at school and frankly, I agree. We go to school for about 8 hours every day and then have to get home. For me getting home on a bus could take an hour. This brings the time to 4 o clock. I do 9 subjects a day in school and get homework for each subject. These can vary from questions with many parts to them or essays. ( I got 4 in Religion the other night and I found it ridiculous). Each subjects homework takes 30-45 minutes to complete. This takes me to approximately 7 o clock to have all of my homework finished. I then have to shower and eat dinner. AND I must somehow fit in study for my junior Cert mocks. Teenagers are meant to have on average 9 hours of sleep every night. With the way things are, the average teenager only has 0-1 hours to even think or fit in something they actually WANT to do. I don't think this is right. I know I basically just went off on a bit of a rant but I was just explaining my point using my usual school day as an example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

I found that I was able to maintain a good work/life balance during the JC and got pretty good results. 30 minutes of homework for every subject sounds quite excessive. I always bring my homework to classes in case I have a free class which saved me quite a lot of time and make sure you take breaks because if you're tired you make work slower. Definitely don't neglect your personal life, and don't worry too much about the mocks, they're just there as a taster for the JC. Just focus on keeping up with what's going on in classes. Good luck and don't go too hard on yourself because at this stage you shouldn't be worrying too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

Main thing is DON'T LET IT TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE.

Keep the same routine as normal, do the things you normally do, and be who you normally are.

30-45 minutes of Homework in a subject is loads, I personally cannot see a need to do extra study on top. Just study the things that you need to work on.

Go into the mocks, do what you do well, and attempt everything else. You will be fine.

Just remember, you will wake up the day after the mocks and JC, and life will go on.

Go n-éirí leat.

Advertisement