Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Route 44b

Options
  • 26-01-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, I was going to go on the 44B Dublin Bus route in late February. I am a bus enthusiast and I thought I might try out the route. I am planning to go from terminus to terminus (Dundrum Luas Station to Glencullen Turning Circle). If I got the 15:45 44B would I have enough time to have dinner and a quick drink before getting the 18:00 44B back? Is the 44B reliable? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Hi, I was going to go on the 44B Dublin Bus route in late February. I am a bus enthusiast and I thought I might try out the route. I am planning to go from terminus to terminus (Dundrum Luas Station to Glencullen Turning Circle). If I got the 15:45 44B would I have enough time to have dinner and a quick drink before getting the 18:00 44B back? Is the 44B reliable? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The service is generally quite reliable unless there is particularly bad weather or heavy traffic around Dundrum. The trip takes about 25 minutes from Dundrum to Glencullen. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area, but I'm assuming you're planning to eat in Johnny Foxes and there are stops right outside. The terminus (Ballybrack) is a few stops beyond the pub, its quite remote and a bit of a trek back so keep that in mind if there is bad weather.

The service is operated by one bus, currently a Wrights Crusader which will soon be replaced, so good to do a trip while they last.

As a bus route, it is one of the more interesting on the network and offers some amazing views of Dublin. It is a real example of a PSO route, connecting small rural Dublin communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

OK, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Also bear in mind if you are walking from Johnny Foxes to the terminus to catch the 1800, light will be low and its a narrow country road with no path - wear something reflective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

I rode this route once back in the very early 1980s from Hawkins Street to the Ballybrack loop terminus when by chance the C-class (before the KC was assigned) was substituted by a D-class Atlantean with VanHool body. Quite surreal to be riding the top deck of that big bus on those narrow roads. Always wondered why it wasn't extended to Enniskerry via Barrack Road, Bridge Road and Kilgarron Road, maybe operating via Shop River too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

MGWR wrote: »
    I rode this route once back in the very early 1980s from Hawkins Street to the Ballybrack loop terminus when by chance the C-class (before the KC was assigned) was substituted by a D-class Atlantean with VanHool body. Quite surreal to be riding the top deck of that big bus on those narrow roads. Always wondered why it wasn't extended to Enniskerry via Barrack Road, Bridge Road and Kilgarron Road, maybe operating via Shop River too.

Many cars can barely cope with Barrack Road, whatever about service buses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Many cars can barely cope with Barrack Road, whatever about service buses :)
    Yup. Same still applies to Woodside Road, Ballyedmonduff Road and Red House Road, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Thanks for the help everybody!

Advertisement