Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art therapy

Options
  • 26-01-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Has anyone any advice on art therapy as a career choice, employment opportunities etc? I'm very interested in it but don't know of anyone who has done a course in it. I would really like to know of anyone's experience before I pay the huge amount of money involved following this path! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emily McCullagh

Hi, I finished a MA in art therapy in 2015. Its hard to make a living at this, and alot of art therapists do other work too to make ends meet. It's a huge amount of money and energy to do the course so I would say be really sure you want to do it first. I probably spent €30,000 doing it, I was permanently exhausted for two of 3 years, and emotionally fried. Bearing in mind you'll be working with people who aren't coping with normal life, it can be draining. I would advise you go and volunteer for at least 6 months in a centre in the area you think you'd like to work in, mental health, special needs, or children, and also commit to some of your own therapy work for at least a year, and then make your decision. I would also advise you do the course in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭redfox123

Thank you so much for your advice. That really brings things into perspective I had no idea it would cost that amount of money! Yea I will really need to reconsider. I was thinking of doing an introductory course which would involve a lot of experiential learning and study of a aspect related to the subject I have so much interest in and would greatly help me in my own work (I am an artist), even this course would be very expensive. I have worked with people with disabilities and children in arts and crafts classes before. I think maybe I would do the introduction to it as an add on to my own work and as a better understanding of working with people in a creative environment if I was holding classes but I am now doubtful I will go down the road of being a fully fledged professional art therapist. It seems to be extremely challenging and with little chance of getting full time well paid work after. Thanks again for telling your experience in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emily McCullagh

you are welcome! bear in mind my personal experience is just one. Good luck with your creative journey, whatever you decide, I'm sure you already bring lots of benefits to all the people you work with.

Advertisement