Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you study?

Options
  • 26-01-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm a first year and failed 2 modules, the first semester kind of went away from me. Just wondering how ye study? I find the Lectures too busy but do go to all the Tutorials and Labs. Does it help to use a text book as well as lecture notes?
    Any tips and help appreciated. I can't afford any fails in the Spring Exams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It really depends on the person. People study in all different ways and you have to find your own way.

For example, for learning references, I make a story. I still remember Bach, 1997 who talks about concussive forces and that was years ago. I have a younger brother called Jack born in 1997. So I just think of "Hit the road Jack, and don't you come [bach]". Make it personal and relatable. For the rest, I tend to write it out over and over, do the sample questions/past papers, then volunteer to teach people it. For one module in our final year, one everyone was struggling for, I gave a mini tutorial just before the exam.

Now that technique may not work at all for you. You might find turning it into a song is easier, you might find writing out essays and learning them off easier, you might find just repeatedly writing it out easier. Try different methods during the year and see which works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Clare0609 wrote: »
    I find the Lectures too busy but do go to all the Tutorials and Labs.

This is probably part of the problem. I'm not much good for studying but if I compared modules where I never bothered attending the lectures to those that I went to regularly the difference in grades is massive.

Even if you're just on your phone in the lecture, you're still there listening and hopefully absorbing so it's not all alien material come study week. Plus, it's always good if the lecturer recognises your face when you're appealing a grade or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Go to the lectures.

During my undergrad I rarely went to lectures - pretty sure I went some semesters without ever attending a lecture for some modules. I always ended up with C's and low B's.

I am doing a taught masters now and even though the timetable has been a lot more packed than my undergrad I ended up going to every single lecture, tutorial and lab last semester. I find just being there and listening makes studying later so much easier. I got 3 A's and 2 B1's. The major difference was that I attended everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Depends on what course you do and what type of learner you are really.

I learn better from diagrams and pictures so whenever we finished a topic in a module I'd make mind-map of what I needed to know. If I needed to learn definitions & derivations I did them in bright colours, it worked for some reason.

Take advantage of office hours, they exist for a reason. If you don't know something and have made a genuine effort at it, go to their office and the lecturer should help you. I know that can be daunting, especially in first year but it saved me a few times last semester!

If continual assessment plays a role in any module, make sure you do your best in it, try and have as many marks going in. If the lecturer sees you're making an effort they'll appreciate it.

Advertisement