Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC acting strange

Options
  • 26-01-2017 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Got a PC repair job done last month .. cost about €100.
    I have a partition between Win 7 and Ubuntu - but always use Windows (yeah shoot me :) )
    Windows 7 just didn't load last night , not even in safe mode ..
    at one stage when restarting i had a message warning me that on last startup there was a power surge.

I went into the BIOS . just restored to defaults .. then completely dead .
    I got some GRU ROOT message with a command prompt - but none of the regular linux commands worked

Anyway, this morning as if by fecking magic it started again - only now a new menu (I imagine this was setting to defaults on BIOS)

Before I had
    Ubuntu
    Windows 7

Now
    Mem Test
    Another Mem Test
    Ubuntu
    Windows 7

Windows 7 starts fine and all my files are ok and still running nicely on SSD drive.

Utterly bizarre, wondering to take it back to shop for them to have a look ?

Im in Spain, so im cautious here about getting ripped off ..

Should I perhaps run those mem tests to check for faulty memory ?

Last month he did a mem test and said I had 2GB faulty , the rest was fine tho (I now have 12GB from 14GB)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Do you get a lot of power cuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Do you get a lot of power cuts?

No, my 1 year old has been switching it off lately tho ... but hadn't done so in a few days ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That would do it. Machines do not like being hardcycled. If its working fine now, then make sure you have anything important backed up and go on with using it. Its doubtful a basic tech shop could tell you the cause of a problem that is no longer in existence.

Its really hit and miss at the moment.

Good thing is I have everything backed up.

I got this message there at startup
    Error: hd0 out of disk grub rescue

Is it easy to remove a partition and just have windows boot up at start - I dont use ubuntu anymore.

and another weird thing, when it does load it tells me windows is not genuine ?

it definetely is genuine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well you have dual boot system,which means grub bootloader is the system checks for boot instructions after post,the issue with having extra lines for mem test most likely was result of sudden power outage thus grub put them lines in to run check of what its programmed to be possible issue.

so not sure how much experience you have with linux but you need to open booloader file as root user ,

command for that would be gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg on terminal then you would get gui interface to edit bootloader file and remove mem check,test lines and alter boot order,sounds complicated but its only txt file ,after which you run grub-update and restart your system.

Now windows being not licensed could be most likely related to how windows hold license since windows 10 was pointed to write code for license into cmos chip,but since your run win 7 not sure about it being related,could it be that shop borrowed your win 7 key ,or did some reinstall ,restore to knock serial off.

Also when you mention 14gb and 2gb faulty not sure what you mean by that since unless you got some numbers wrong or have no clue about how pc works in general,if memory is faulty then stick has to go,otherwise your in for bsods whenever faulty memory block is hit.Now not being smart on this but general advise would be to backup your files and just install single OS,go with win7 and save some cash.

What i meant was, a single stick of 2GB was faulty.

I had 14GB total, now I have 12GB after removing faulty 2GB one.

What i meant was, a single stick of 2GB was faulty.

I had 14GB total, now I have 12GB after removing faulty 2GB one.
    my bad just never seen such odd number on rams what way you had your sticks is it 8gb+2+2+2 ?if having so much memory your better of using virtual box for linux whenever need it.
    Anyway if you want to get rid of linux heres steps to take > http://askubuntu.com/questions/429610/uninstall-grub-and-use-windows-bootloader ,since either formating would do no damage and would be able to boot straight into windows or would need to put a bit extra work to fix windows boot loader,if formatting whole system isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

4gb+4+4+2?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Think it was 2+2+2 - this was an older setup I got back in 09 ...

Then last year got an extra 8gb (4+4)

So one of the old 2gb sticks snuffed it .

Thanks @scamalert I'll try that ..

• Advertisement

well that makes sense with memory,but as said just backup your important stuff to external storage and then go they way you feel is best,since issue seems minor,if your kids where pressing power button and causing shortages,thus a bit of google to sort out grub bootloader ,or complete format if dont mind spending few hours is same job you would pay someone else to do.

Deleted the partition and reinstalled Win7 ... also stuck another 4GB in there :)

Have 16GB Ram now, I think if I use linux again I can use VMs ...

Advertisement