Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Package Ads.

Options
  • 26-01-2017 3:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Eir been advertising a package for a while for 30 eur a month. Now if you listen to the ad it does increases after x amount of months. But then it says a few times 30 eur a month. This package is never 30 eur a month. Its 30 eur for 12mths and 92 for 12 months. Its a 24 month package. So its 61 eur a month. The advertising authority have upheld about this ad in sept of last year so how are they still allowed run this misleading ads.

There the same as all you can eat data when in fact its 15 gigs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Doesn't the ad say it's 30 a month for 12 months? It also states what it rises to after (granted that's a massive jump but it's not hidden). I'm not sure I see the issue.

Anyway, these companies increase their prices every year so there's always an opportunity to leave early and never pay the increased fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

theteal wrote: »
    Doesn't the ad say it's 30 a month for 12 months? It also states what it rises to after (granted that's a massive jump but it's not hidden). I'm not sure I see the issue.

Anyway, these companies increase their prices every year so there's always an opportunity to leave early and never pay the increased fee.

Not necessarily. A provider can decide to defer the increase to some of it's customers preventing an exit in the contract period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

It says in the ad its 30 eur a month for the first six months. It's not. You pay 61 eur a month over the life of the contract which is 24 months. If you come out of the contract you have to pay the full amount of the contract which is 61*24. It's the same with mobile phone contracts you are locked in for the length of the contract. The advertising standards upheld a complaint against them back in sept so i don't see why they can run this ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Eir been advertising a package for a while for 30 eur a month. Now if you listen to the ad it does increases after x amount of months. But then it says a few times 30 eur a month. This package is never 30 eur a month. Its 30 eur for 12mths and 92 for 12 months. Its a 24 month package. So its 61 eur a month. The advertising authority have upheld about this ad in sept of last year so how are they still allowed run this misleading ads.

There the same as all you can eat data when in fact its 15 gigs.

The ASAI only partially upheld a complaint relating to this and stated in their conclusion
    "Complaint 2: The Committee did not consider that the use of introductory pricing for a portion of a contract term rather than average pricing was in breach of the Code.
    The complaints were not upheld."

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-32/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Given that it clarifies that the 30 euro a month is just for the introductory period, I don't think it's dishonest of them to subsequently refer to the price being 30 euro a month. OP, you're just arguing over interpretation for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    Given that it clarifies that the 30 euro a month is just for the introductory period, I don't think it's dishonest of them to subsequently refer to the price being 30 euro a month. OP, you're just arguing over interpretation for the sake of it.

I completely disagree. People are idiots (there's even something called the moron in a hurry test but I digress) and these X for 6 months offer are intentionally misleading. It really is about time the practise was stopped, or at least (an this is the one thing I'll give Sky) limited to the contract term.

But its never 30 eur a month. Never. You don't ever pay 30 eur a month for the first six months. As over the contract you pay 61. If you end the contract after six months they will want the rest for the next 18 months. Its misleading. Same as the all you can eat data crap. Its 15 gigs. Love to see someone challenge them in court on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

But its never 30 eur a month. Never. You don't ever pay 30 eur a month for the first six months. As over the contract you pay 61. If you end the contract after six months they will want the rest for the next 18 months. Its misleading. Same as the all you can eat data crap. Its 15 gigs. Love to see someone challenge them in court on this one.

From reading here and other forums, it would appear that Three have never once throttled or disconnected anyone for passing their 15GB fair-usage allowance and some users are pulling 100's of GB a month on it. Until they do start enforcing the 15GB cap, it is All You Can Eat data as far as anyone's concerned

Vodafone claim their fixed-line broadband is unlimited but it's not. It's fair-usage up to 1000GB and they do enforce this... disconnecting you if you surpass it twice within your contract

Now as for eir... anyone who's stupid enough to sign up with them in the first place deserves everything they get!

Yeah this is where you lose me tbh.

AFAIK you pay 30 per month for the first six months, not 61.

All you can eat data is actually perfectly fine IMHO - it's specifically not saying unlimited it's using a marketing tool. All you can eat bears no relevance to data, you don't eat it - you should be on notice for the small print.

Libertarian Kant the contract with eir is 24 months. Its 30 eur a month for the first six months and 92 for the next 18. So over the contract you pay 61. Its never 30 eur a month for six months. As over the contract you pay 61 a month. Same with the way you pay phone pills etc its over the contract. Why say 30 eur a month for the first six months and not mention in the ad is 92 for the next 18 months. The reason nobody will sign up. Its misleading and should not be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Libertarian Kant the contract with eir is 24 months. Its 30 eur a month for the first six months and 92 for the next 18. So over the contract you pay 61. Its never 30 eur a month for six months. As over the contract you pay 61 a month. Same with the way you pay phone pills etc its over the contract. Why say 30 eur a month for the first six months and not mention in the ad is 92 for the next 18 months. The reason nobody will sign up. Its misleading and should not be allowed.

What comes out of the bank months 1-6? Because I know what comes out of mine in months 1-6 with Virgin Media.

I'm not stupid. But over the contract its not 30 eur a month . Anyway if u signed up your a fool. 61 eu is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Its never 30 eur a month for six months.

Except for the part where they send you the bills for the first six months and they only charge you 30 euro for those months...
    I'm not stupid. But over the contract its not 30 eur a month . Anyway if u signed up your a fool. 61 eu is a rip off.

Without knowing the exact details of the contract I can't dispute if it's a rip off or not but that's around the average price for middle of the road packages.

What it is over the contract is pointless, it's €30 for months 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 and that is all they are saying in the advertisement. They also mention it increases after this period judging by other comments in this thread.

Advertisement