Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60% of Our Electricity Coming From Wind Tonight !

Options
  • 25-01-2017 9:16pm

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all

Nice to see, but shame there is no solar PV on the Grid. Having said that it was a pretty poor winter for wind.

But nice to see the potential and how much it's growing year after year. But our demands are going considerably for electricity and not to mention as more and more transport gets electrified there will be a staggering demand for energy in the years to come.

How much wind energy do we think we can install on land ? do people think renewables will be enough in the future especially as more and more transport gets electrified ?

It's good to know my Nissan Leaf electric car gets charged on some renewables but on nights it's 50% + wind generation it is particularly good to see.

Remember this is all Island consumption including the north.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#all

Nice to see, but shame there is no solar PV on the Grid. Having said that it was a pretty poor winter for wind.

But nice to see the potential and how much it's growing year after year. But our demands are going considerably for electricity and not to mention as more and more transport gets electrified there will be a staggering demand for energy in the years to come.

How much wind energy do we think we can install on land ? do people think renewables will be enough in the future especially as more and more transport gets electrified ?

It's good to know my Nissan Leaf electric car gets charged on some renewables but on nights it's 50% + wind generation it is particularly good to see.

Remember this is all Island consumption including the north.

CO2 emissions are higher at night than the day, if you charge at night you are responsible for more CO2 ( and the various associated pollutants like nox and sox)

I think we are at capacity with on shore Wind, they really are a blight to the landscape and their service roads and foundations etc have led to a good deal of deforestation.

As a country we have put all our eggs in the one basket with regards renewable energy.

We need to look at dispatchable renewable sources, pumped hydro , biomass/gas etc
    We should have conveyed the sugar cane plants to bioethanol or similar.

There's 200MW of wind due to hit the grid shortly. Which is a wellcome change from wind.

60% wind is nothing to shout about because it's not dispatchable, there will be a high pressure over head soon and we will have weeks where we only get 2% from wind

60.47%

60.47%

Round down still 60%

The dashboard is saying 3040, our installed capacity is 3025. I'd hazard a guess and say th figures are incorrect. Also some will be constrained , some out for service , some experiencing high wind shutdown etc

Here's some good solar projects

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/china-builds-worlds-biggest-solar-farm-in-journey-to-become-green-superpower?client=safari

http://reneweconomy.com.au/china-completes-200-mw-solar-facility-top-fish-farm-82693/

ted1 wrote: »
    CO2 emissions are higher at night than the day, if you charge at night you are responsible for more CO2 ( and the various associated pollutants like nox and sox)

I think we are at capacity with on shore Wind, they really are a blight to the landscape and their service roads and foundations etc have led to a good deal of deforestation.

As a country we have put all our eggs in the one basket with regards renewable energy.

We need to look at dispatchable renewable sources, pumped hydro , biomass/gas etc
    We should have conveyed the sugar cane plants to bioethanol or similar.

There's 200MW of wind due to hit the grid shortly. Which is a wellcome change from wind.

60% wind is nothing to shout about because it's not dispatchable, there will be a high pressure over head soon and we will have weeks where we only get 2% from wind

"Weeks of 2%" ? can I have your crystal ball ted ? :D

If I charge during the day or night whenever on shift.

I would like to see solar PV on the gris also in large scale and micro generation tariffs restored.

Whatever I drive on is not being emitted in an urban environment where people are directly breathing in emissions. And I burn whatever fossil fuels up to 80% efficiently not like the ICE, 20-30% . And of course get any green energy generated at the time. Tonight looks like I'll get 60 odd %

• Advertisement

"Weeks of 2%" ? can I have your crystal ball ted ? :D

If I charge during the day or night whenever on shift.

I would like to see solar PV on the gris also in large scale and micro generation tariffs restored.

Whatever I drive on is not being emitted in an urban environment where people are directly breathing in emissions. And I burn whatever fossil fuels up to 80% efficiently not like the ICE, 20-30% . And of course get any green energy generated at the time. Tonight looks like I'll get 60 odd %

Crystal ball? I don't need one I worked for The TSO and I see it happen in a regular basis. You get windy weeks and weeks of no wind.

Also as a kitsurfer I've been watching the winter almost daily for 15 years and know it pretty well.

A lot of land taken though, this is another problem, depending on the land used perhaps.

You must not have clicked the second link :)
    Built on a fish farm. So no land taking bar the Substations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A lot of land taken though, this is another problem, depending on the land used perhaps.

On the solar farms proposed here in Ireland, sheep will be able to graze under and around the panels

Crystal ball? I don't need one I worked for The TSO and I see it happen in a regular basis. You get windy weeks and weeks of no wind.

Also as a kitsurfer I've been watching the winter almost daily for 15 years and know it pretty well.

You didn't think I thought that we get 60% of our electricity from wind all the time ?

Look at the thread title.

You didn't think I thought that we get 60% of our electricity from wind all the time ?

Look at the thread title.
    why sing and dance then? You need to look at the big picture.

• Advertisement

Hardly a sing and dance really, just interesting to see.

I never saw 60% before, yes I look at the bigger picture but I don't really have any control over it. :D

Hardly a sing and dance really, just interesting to see.

I never saw 60% before, yes I look at the bigger picture but I don't really have any control over it. :D

Eirgrid have been slowly increasing the SNSP since last summer 50%-55%-60%
    http://www.eirgridgroup.com/site-files/library/EirGrid/DS3-Operational-Capability-Outlook-2016.pdf

Ah cool, that explains why I never saw more than 55% last year and why there won't be more than 60% until next year.

Seems a bit pointless then adding more renewables of any kind to the grid. Though I suppose more turbines help when wind isn't as strong as it is now.

434 Mw going to the U.K. now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Anything which makes us less dependent on oil even "SOME of the time" is very very welcome and means we could sort of survive in the event of an oil crisis, which fundamentally takes away the blackmail effect of those OPEC zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've got a question regarding wind energy and the turbines we see scattered about the country.

The other day I passed one group on a relatively windy day. Half of the turbines were spinning away, the other half totally still.

I got to thinking, why?

When there is wind and there's free energy there for the taking, why would you switch half of them off? Seems pointless to invest big money in these, to have them idle when they could be running

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've got a question regarding wind energy and the turbines we see scattered about the country.

The other day I passed one group on a relatively windy day. Half of the turbines were spinning away, the other half totally still.

I got to thinking, why?

When there is wind and there's free energy there for the taking, why would you switch half of them off? Seems pointless to invest big money in these, to have them idle when they could be running

They could be out of commission or curtailed. The output varies as the wind changes so to maintain a stable frequency and voltage they need conventional generation that can maintain the two. So what they you is throttle back the supply from wind

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

They could be out of commission or curtailed. The output varies as the wind changes so to maintain a stable frequency and voltage they need conventional generation that can maintain the two. So what they you is throttle back the supply from wind

It's also not too unusual for a couple of wind turbines in a farm not to be turning because they're sheltered by other turbines when the wind comes from a particular direction. Their layouts maximize the aggregate production from the farm rather than the output of individual wind turbines.

L wrote: »
    It's also not too unusual for a couple of wind turbines in a farm not to be turning because they're sheltered by other turbines when the wind comes from a particular direction. Their layouts maximize the aggregate production from the farm rather than the output of individual wind turbines.

What many do is that they get a connection for say 110 MW but install 110MW, this covers if a turbine is out if action or in a wind shadow etc

What many do is that they get a connection for say 110 MW but install 110MW, this covers if a turbine is out if action or in a wind shadow etc

Aye, exactly - over-installing extra capacity (say 55MW on a 50MW connection) also shifts up their output so they're using more of the connection more frequently. No point paying for 55MW of connection if you're only going to use that much once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

re: solar projects; I liked this one. Growing tomatoes in the desert using solar mirror powered desalinization:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMs8MN9mNac

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    re: solar projects; I liked this one. Growing tomatoes in the desert using solar mirror powered desalinization:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMs8MN9mNac

It is pretty cool. I wonder how they dispose of the salt though. Also, nice to see Robert Llewellyn hosting something :)

Advertisement