Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gibraltar 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hou Yifan took a bit of a strop in this and threw the last round. A protest at having to play seven women in ten games. She then went and described the draw - which surely can be replicated? - as "unbelievable" and "weird"

All seems a bit daft and petulant surely? I've had tournaments where I've played three or four clubmates in the six rounds; it's annoying in a way, but never made me want to throw a game or have a go at the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

cdeb wrote: »
    Hou Yifan took a bit of a strop in this and threw the last round. A protest at having to play seven women in ten games. She then went and described the draw - which surely can be replicated? - as "unbelievable" and "weird"

All seems a bit daft and petulant surely? I've had tournaments where I've played three or four clubmates in the six rounds; it's annoying in a way, but never made me want to throw a game or have a go at the draw.

I agree with you. I think perhaps that her loss to a fellow countrywoman and chief rival the day before may have had some bearing on her tantrum.
    Having said that, I have always been impressed by Hou Yifan as a person in the past but I guess it's easy to be nice when you are winning. She is a fantastic chess talent, her win in the tournament's best game was truly fantastic. I've seldom been so impressed by a game.

Advertisement