Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire Brigade

Options
  • 25-01-2017 1:03pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've come across a couple of men who were in the fire brigade, both pre/post independence.

Any ideas where service records are available?

John Grenham's book has nothing about firemen in his chapter on occupational records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has been part of the Corporation/Council since 1862; so presumably with DCC employment records?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've made various calls this afternoon. Won't name names but some organisations (not the actual fire brigade) need better training.

The museum in Marino has someone who will hopefully call me back tomorrow with further detail and I'll post here for future reference.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This man might be able to helpor have something on his website? Don't have time to check the finer details just now http://www.fire-service-trust.com/las-fallon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MAGZERFLOOD

A lot of records destroyed in the 1930s. You may find a fireman in Dublin Corporation Minutes in Dublin City Library

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

A lot of records destroyed in the 1930s. You may find a fireman in Dublin Corporation Minutes in Dublin City Library

and especially the reports, which have much more detail. These volumes are further right on the open shelves at DCLA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement