Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best homeplugs to use with 240MB connection?

Options
  • 25-01-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,

Have just upgraded to Virgin Media's 240mb service - and it's working fine - getting around 245MB actually according to their speedtest...

Anyway, my query is this: I currently have a 500MB TP-Link homeplug connected directly to the router using a CAT5e cable. Homeplug connected to wall socket (not via a plugboard).

Upstairs homeplug is only rated 200mb, but again, Cat 5e cable and directly connected.

The homeplugs will only do up to 50 ish mb to my main pc upstairs....

Even my Wifi dongle will do up to 70mb +. Never thought I'd see wifi beating wired :)

I hear suggestions that any homeplug not rated in the 1gb plus capacity will max out at 100mb. I have 500mb and 200mb plugs at the moment and only getting 50mb ish so maybe this is true?

IS there anyone who might have 240mb connection and is using better homeplugs to effectively get the 240mb speed at other rooms in the house?

MOD: Apologies if this is in the wrong place - wasn't sure where to put it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I get the same 50ish connection upstairs. I'm with Virgn and have the 240mb connection too. http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-690.html

i have the tplink wired model TL-PA210.

Could be the wires in the house. Try a different plug socket and then test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

superdar wrote: »
    to effectively get the 240mb speed at other rooms in the house?

You wont.

The TP TL-PA7020 (1Gb link, 1Gb ports) manages about 140Mbs over a distance of 3m in adjacent rooms.

Even at AV1200s you'll only manage a little better. The real world rates on homeplugs are a lot lower than advertised. Same way wireless N300 averages about 40Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 superdar

Ok,

So no real point in upgrading the homeplugs then?

Cabling in terms of ethernet - 3m is about right in my case as it happens... but then do you mean to include the electrical cabling between the actual sockets as well?

-Daragh

I was referring to distance between HPs. Mains wiring could be about 10-15m depending on the loop(not sure of routing).

Swapping the 200 for a 500 could bring you up, but dont expect miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Ok,

Cabling in terms of ethernet - 3m is about right in my case as it happens... but then do you mean to include the electrical cabling between the actual sockets as well?

-Daragh

What i do is i drag a 20m cable upsatairs if i have heavy downoading to do. otherwise the 30mbps is more than enough for casual internet stuff. the speed is fine, very good even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ok,

-Daragh

Could be well over 50 meters just over the electrical lines. Best option for you would be to run a ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Run some cat6, the day you'll need it is already here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Ok,

-Daragh

I use the TP-LINK AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough plugs.
    Model No - TL-PA8010P KIT

Same setup as yourself, 240MBit Virgin Media.
    Desktop PC is upstairs wired to the powerline adapter and router is downstairs.

I get full throughput from them to my modem. See snapshot of the speedtest I ran from virgin media's website.
    speedtest-20170125.jpg

The problem with a lot of the Powerline adapters that advertise as up to 500Mbps or 600Mbps is the fine print says the Ethernet port on them is only 100Mbps so you're never going to get the advertised theoretical speed. I don't know how they get away with this. It's like having a Ferrari and only able to drive it in first gear.

Sorry but the way powerline plugs work mean your performance does not equate to other peoples performance. They are susceptible to the quality of the cables, the routing(distance) involved, the RCD's they pass over on the breaker between runs and the interference from other devices on the network among other things. A quick google tells me the OP would probably gain nothing from installing AV1200's in his current environment. Because 50 is low even for 500's, I'd expect more then that.

Sorry but the way powerline plugs work mean your performance does not equate to other peoples performance. They are susceptible to the quality of the cables, the routing(distance) involved, the RCD's they pass over on the breaker between runs and the interference from other devices on the network among other things. A quick google tells me the OP would probably gain nothing from installing AV1200's in his current environment. Because 50 is low even for 500's, I'd expect more then that.

Op is at lowest common rate, 200, so not so bad.

• Advertisement

Ahh, I missed the second 200 device.

Good review on those faster homeplugs you mention on avforums.com:

I can't post it here as I'm a newbie...

Also looking at these TP-LINK 600Mbps TL-PA4010PKIT Powerline Adapter.

- 600mbps ones from Argos. Again can't post link but cat number (enter into search box if interested) 580/7112 at 47 euro for two.

I think my own ones have oddly stopped working - or at least they won't pair so might have to grab these anyway...

Actually I see from the TP-Link site that the ethernet ports on these top out at 100MB, so it's a no.

Advertisement