Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New in Ireland - help with first car (BMW?)

Options
  • 24-01-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been reading up on this forum and its great. I just moved to Ireland from the US and am trying to figure out a plan for purchasing a car. Based on the popularity and available specs, a BMW seems like a good choice for a higher spec car that is still in my budget (20k or less, aiming for 15-18, also looking for under 70k miles).

I have found this car, it seems to tick most of the boxes:
    m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1623312&r=s.php%3Fdl%3D467%26g%3D0

I have taken it for a quick test drive and looked it over. Mostly in good shape but a lot of scratches on the hood and body, more than you might expect.

Hoping for any feedback on:
    - Price - I have heard to go in at %15 under ask, is that too aggressive?
    - Car - Any obvious issues with this model year?
    - Dealer - Cant find much on these guys, its very different from the US. They are small, should I be concerned?
    - What Am I missing - I am well aware that I am new here in Ireland, just trying to connect the dots. Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

How familiar are you with the costs and sometimes bizarre conditions of motor insurance in Ireland?
    How familiar are you with diesel engines and the sometimes bizarre love we have for them here?

On that particular model... early versions of that engine had a fairly shocking engineering flaw. It may have been resolved by 2012. You can pretty much forget about manufacturers owning up to and rectifying "lemons" here, it just doesn't happen, the cost is on you to fix mostly.

(btw I'm an eternal pessimist about small diesel engines and motor insurance in general, somebody else will be along shortly to reassure you)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Insurance I have already been through the...process/wringer. It took a good week to find a few carriers who are not insane and will cover a US driver, but I think I am set there now.

Diesel engines, well I have never owned one so I guess I am just expecting it to work like a regular engine for the most part. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

You could also consider importing from the UK - plenty of bargains to be had particularly on high end cars. I've done it myself three times. The paperwork can seem a bit daunting but it's actually not too bad and there's loads of advice on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Diesel engines, well I have never owned one so I guess I am just expecting it to work like a regular engine for the most part. Am I missing something?
    Nope. I would have (perhaps wrongly) expected a big difference from anything you would have had in the US but if you've driven it already and you're happy, go for it. Diesel is still clean (caution, terms and conditions apply) here so you may as indulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Diesel doesn't like short journeys and if driving hard require time for the turbo to spin down before shutting down the engine.

Despite what people will tell you they aren't suitable for the majority of people but it's all that was bought new for the last 8 years so getting a suitable 2nd hand car is difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Helpful info, any opinions on price? Is asking under 15% good or to much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I used to have one (petrol though) and have never spent as much money on pencil coils in my life! Every few months!

However it was a great car to drive, hated selling it really.

Advertisement