Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astra Superior DE blades

Options
  • 24-01-2017 10:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

Anyone here using the Astra Superior DE blades?
    I am currently working my way through a box of 100, and getting 4 good shaves per blade.
    OK they aren't as sharp as the Feather, and aren't as cheap as the Derby Extra; but I find them to be a good comprise; sharpness/cost/longevity.
    But I have heard the Turkish ones are different quality? Or is that a myth?
    I bought mine from a seller in Turkey via Amazon at a very good price including postage.
    They took 2 weeks to arrive, but I had plenty of Derby Extra's to tide me over anyway.
    So does anyone know are all Astra Superior the same?
    I can also highly recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89.
    I used to use a Muhle R89 and loved the feel of the knurling, but sadly the thread sheared off after only 6 months use.
    I think they use porous cast metal which is weak you see.
    No such trouble with the Edwin Jagger though, feels heavy and solid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Appears they're only made in Russia. Do the Turkish ones say otherwise or are you just worried they might not be genuine?

Personally I find Astras to be okay but I prefer Personna (Israeli) and Voskhod (Russian) blades.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes mine are made in Russia.
    Must just be a myth then, the Turkish ones are the same as the Russian supplied ones.
    I have heard good things about both of those blades so will get a sample of 5 of each if I can.
    How many shaves do you get from each blade typically?
    I find all blades dull on the fourth for me.
    So far Feather's have been the best shave I have had. My DE89 really suited them as its quite aggressive; so I got a lovely silky smooth shave with just the weight of the razor.
    To be honest, I would use Feathers ever other day as they were so sharp and close.
    But the extra cost over the Astra just wasn't worth it in my opinion.
    I would love to find a reasonable supplier of 100 packs of Feather's though.
    What is your favourite blade if you just had to choose one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Personally I find Astras to be okay but I prefer Personna (Israeli) and Voskhod (Russian) blades.

Where do you get your Voskhods from, if you don't me asking?

Relikk wrote: »

I would also like to know this.
    I am keen to try a set as I have read some excellent reviews.

I'd agree the aggressiveness of Feathers are a great fit for the mild DE89. I went through a few hundred Feathers before discovering Voskhod and then switched mainly to them and 7 o'clock yellows. Then I switched to vintage razors and discovered different blades work better for different razor heads. I now use Personna blues exclusively as they suit my vintage razor best.

On the whole, blades are really cheap so I wouldn't let the cost hold you back. You can pick up 100 Feathers for $28 here:

http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/product/feather-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades

As far as number of shaves I'm a tad wasteful and usually use them just 2-3 times.

For Voskhod I've always bought from a Russian seller on eBay. This listing looks good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-VOSKHOD-razor-blades-FREE-EXTRA-SHARP-STAR-BLADES-/262723168531?hash=item3d2b856913:g:yxIAAOSwImRYK2Po

• Advertisement

I'd agree the aggressiveness of Feathers are a great fit for the mild DE89. I went through a few hundred Feathers before discovering Voskhod and then switched mainly to them and 7 o'clock yellows. Then I switched to vintage razors and discovered different blades work better for different razor heads. I now use Personna blues exclusively as they suit my vintage razor best.

On the whole, blades are really cheap so I wouldn't let the cost hold you back. You can pick up 100 Feathers for $28 here:

http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/product/feather-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades

As far as number of shaves I'm a tad wasteful and usually use them just 2-3 times.

For Voskhod I've always bought from a Russian seller on eBay. This listing looks good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-VOSKHOD-razor-blades-FREE-EXTRA-SHARP-STAR-BLADES-/262723168531?hash=item3d2b856913:g:yxIAAOSwImRYK2Po

Many thanks for the links! You are a gent.
    I have just ordered 100 Voskhod's as the reviews are so good.
    If they are anything like the Feather's I will change over to them.
    How would you compare their sharpness to an Astra or Feather?
    I think 3 shaves per blade would do me at that price on 100!
    Currently I am getting 4 from an Astra, but found really 3 was my limit on a Feather and they lose that excellent smoothness.
    A friend of mine swears by using olive oil to shave with, but I tried it and found it too thick and irritant.
    I have been through all the usual shaving foams, but personally find Tesco's own brand one with aloe vera to be the best!
    I am really looking forward to a Vooskhod in my DE89 as I think the aggressive style will suit them.

I would rate sharpness as: Astra < Personna Blue < 7 O'clock Yellows < Voskhod < Feather

I wouldn't use olive oil as it can interfere with the lather. It sounds like you might be ready to upgrade to a shaving soap and brush. In general I don't bother with any pre-shave, just a good soap and a brush soaked in hot water. There are many great soaps and most are much better than store bought canned goo. With a good tallow hard soap you can get a rich, nourishing lather that has both cushion and glide. The action of the brush is beneficial too. At least that works best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Relikk wrote: »

I got mine from this guy......

http://www.ebay.com/usr/businkaolya?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They take a couple of weeks to make it over from Russia but they're great blades.

Advertisement