Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog constantly barking, advice needed

Options
  • 24-01-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

My 8 year old springer spaniel has developed a really bad habit of constantly barking in recent months.

He sleeps in the house and has company all day, so it's not boredom or lack of attention.

Recently, once we let him out the back to do his business, get air, or clean himself he immediately begins to bark before the backdoor is shut and jumps and scratches against the door. He then runs around and sits right against a patio door which looks into the living room and will bark until he is let in. If he needs to poo or pee during this time he continues to bark and whine.

For example ,earlier this evening, I brought him on a walk for an hour and a half and let him out the back when we got home so he could go to the toilet, and he barked constantly for an hour without a break before I eventually gave in and let him in.

I'm at my wits end with him at this stage. I've had him since he was 12 weeks old, and was very well behaved up until about 6 months ago when he developed this new bold streak. I've had one or two comments off neighbours, about this barking, and I've been suggested a shocker collar, but I think they're a bit cruel, I'd like to try rectify it myself before resorting to that.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

It might be that he has a medical problem. That fact that he was well behaved before this problem suggests that something unusual is happening with him. His barking could be his way of telling you that something is hurting him. I would take him to a vet as soon as possible and have a diagnostic done on him. It might be cystitis which makes it very painful to pee or he might have painful bowel movements. He is letting you know that something is wrong.

Good luck to you and to your pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Could he have been spooked recently by something and now he's on edge every time he goes out??

My neighbours little one had a bad encounter in the back garden and she changed completely. She's fine now but it took a while.

Perhaps, but I would still bring him to a vet to have him checked out. It might not be medical but a good vet will give you advice to help with his barking. I'm not one myself, but perhaps there are some vets who view Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Thanks for the advice so far, I'm not sure if it's to do with the garden itself, if I'm out the back with him he doesn't make a sound. I should add that he barks inside the house indicating he wants out by running to the backdoor, then does all the above when he is out.

I don't know what the situation is with your neighbour's child having a bad experience ( Bless the little one - I'm glad he/she got over it), but if there is a bad person around your area that could be it. That's a whole different scenario, and I'm sorry I do not know the answer to that one. It is a criminal offense here to harm an animal. Anyway take care and I'm sure you will find a solution to the problem. All the best.

• Advertisement

I don't know what the situation is with your neighbour's child having a bad experience ( Bless the little one - I'm glad he/she got over it), but if there is a bad person around your area that could be it. That's a whole different scenario, and I'm sorry I do not know the answer to that one. It is a criminal offense here to harm an animal. Anyway take care and I'm sure you will find a solution to the problem. All the best.

No no I meant little dog. Sorry. Ha. She's a mix breed, small thing. She was out the back and they think soneone may have thrown in a fire cracker or something into the garden when they went to collect kids from school cause when they came backshe was a nervous wreck!!!

Perhaps, but I would still bring him to a vet to have him checked out. It might not be medical but a good vet will give you advice to help with his barking. I'm not one myself, but perhaps there are some vets who view Boards.

It would defo be my first port of call too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 owl chick

it could be seperation anxiety, which is a slow process to do, if not that, an anti bark collar, they are not cruel, they dont give shocks, all it gives is something like u would get wen taking nylon cloths off in a hurry. i had to get one for my terrier, an if she does slip up, i put it on, but she is trained to it now, so i dont even have to have a batterie in it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

owl chick wrote: »
    it could be seperation anxiety, which is a slow process to do, if not that, an anti bark collar, they are not cruel, they dont give shocks, all it gives is something like u would get wen taking nylon cloths off in a hurry. i had to get one for my terrier, an if she does slip up, i put it on, but she is trained to it now, so i dont even have to have a batterie in it.!

Good god please do not use an anti bark collar. They are cruel and unnecessary.. your dog is barking for a reason.. try to find out this reason and you will easily sort out the barking.

Rob would you get back to us and let us know how you get on?

LOL Trixy ( I fell like inspector Clouseau- spelling error intended ),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

If the dog has been out for an hour and a half walk, why would you need to leave it outside for an hour afterwards to go to the toilet? Is he not going to the toilet on the walk?

To me, the easiest thing would be to break the routine. So after the walk he comes back inside and has dinner and training to chill out on his bed. And then bring him back out later in the evening to go to the toilet before bed?

He may be just trying to tell you that he has done all he needs to do and now he wants to get inside with his family.

Advertisement