Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Heerys Restaurant firing all staff to replace with new team

Options
  • 24-01-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

What do people think of this?

New restaurant firing all their team last minute letting on they'd be coming back when business picked up
    vbulletin2mqlvew.png

Fair play to the new head chef etc but destroying a team unfairly just to bring your own preferred workers from a previous restaurant isn't that admirable.

Then lying about it to customers to make matters worse

"Were all the other front of house team let go to make room for the new team?"

"No any staff that were left were taken into the new team/family

http://i63.tinypic.com/2mqlvew.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

sounds pretty harsh to let the whole team go? I see it a lot lately, places don't like to train staff anymore, any mistakes and they get rid, or use the famous old lie we'll bring you back when busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The whole team were there since the place opened - had all found their feet, got a system going - though since the place wasn't busy (no good) the owner decided to relaunch 6 weeks in, new head chef who ruled the roost and thought it'd be a good idea to scrap everyone - who cares about the people with bills to pay that week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

welcome to the era of 'worker insecurity', its 'good' for the economy, apparently!

was one of the workers in question on here recently talking about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

sounds pretty harsh to let the whole team go? I see it a lot lately, places don't like to train staff anymore, any mistakes and they get rid, or use the famous old lie we'll bring you back when busy.

I've noticed this, its next to near impossible for college students to find jobs nowadays.

I've seen jobs like "Kitchen Porter- 2 years experience". There is nothing in that job that you wouldn't learn in 2 weeks. It's basically translated "I'm not bothered training you".

My view on it is, even though businesses are there to make profit, if they set up in a local community like a small town, they should give back to the community in some way. They take your money after all. It's eventually going to bite them in the arse when there is no staff and they have to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The whole team were there since the place opened - had all found their feet, got a system going - though since the place wasn't busy (no good) the owner decided to relaunch 6 weeks in, new head chef who ruled the roost and thought it'd be a good idea to scrap everyone - who cares about the people with bills to pay that week etc.

Sorry, was the place only open 6 weeks? As in the people who got let go we're working there 6 weeks? Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

• Advertisement

Yes the place has only been open since 1st December - so yes the staff were only there 6\7 weeks so obviously no legal obligation but its more a case of common decency and respect.

People are catching on though and starting to leave reviews on the page saying how bad it was etc.

Yeah one of the staff was on here recently that's myself. I have a new job lined up so its not like I'm not over it but do want to get the word out and shun them just a tad!

Yeah the thing is they didn't train us, we all made a system there, we all had restaurant and years hospitality experience. One of the girls had six years, myself one year, they just wanted to relaunch and let the head chef take the reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

While i sympathise with the staff been let go...

its pretty ****ty thing to do...

but why do employees feel that their employer should provide them a job for as long as they want it but if they find a new job themselves are happy to say bye bye mr employer and move along....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OP, you started a thread elsewhere about this, I dont see the point in another one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement