Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too many boxes and I'm sick of it.

Options
  • 24-01-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

All,
    I have:
    1. android box for playing downloaded movies from an external hard drive (can use for netflix too buy it's very slow).
    2. Roku for netflix.
    3. Saorview box for rte etc. Not used much.
    4. Zgemma for all other tv stations and rte also if I want.

Has other people a simpler setup with less boxes?

Thinking of a roku 4. This would combine 1 and 2.
    Does anybody have any better suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Amiko? Have the dish for fta and apps for box sets and movies..

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

D0NNELLY wrote:
    Amiko? Have the dish for fta and apps for box sets and movies..

Looks impressive. Does the box run apps also like netflix and mobdro?

Reading more on that box and I see it has more uses, mobdro not needed. Amiko mini HD. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Sony Android tv. Runs Kodi, Netflix, Youtube, built in tuners for Saorview and Freesat.

Mind you, I still have three consoles connected. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

druss wrote: »
    Sony Android tv. Runs Kodi, Netflix, Youtube, built in tuners for Saorview and Freesat.

Mind you, I still have three consoles connected. :P

Just the Sony bravia for me, still can't believe Sony have Kodi on these as a featured app ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nvidia Shield will work as a chromecast, play the likes of unmentionable apps that provide streaming, play Kodi, works as a media server and plays games.

Or buy a Logitech Harmony, put all the boxes and their remotes out of the way in a press and just use one remote for all.

Bravia looks like the job alright but a new TV isn't in the cards jut now. What's the story with the logitech remote just tune it to each box and use on remote to select each box on and on from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Currently have sky box x2
    XMBC Box x2
    Chromecast x2
    Amazon firestick x1
    Blueray player x1
    PS4 x1
    Surround sound system

Too much stuff plugged into my 2 tellys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Wetek core box and a paid sub covers everything for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

BobPresto wrote: »
    Just the Sony bravia for me, still can't believe Sony have Kodi on these as a featured app ;)

Indeed! And should have said that Chromecast is also built in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bravia looks like the job alright but a new TV isn't in the cards jut now. What's the story with the logitech remote just tune it to each box and use on remote to select each box on and on from there?

Pretty much, but it will also switch the input on the TV for you. It's pricey but looks excellent. Mine is arriving tomorrow and all the boxes will be going in the press out of the way.

Thanks for the help all. Will have another look tomorrow at work at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

a q guys, if i downloadand run kodi to my roku2 will it delete everything within

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Don't scoff at my suggestion, but I consolidated recently. My Bravia has both DVB-T & DVB-S built in so I connect directly to the TV for Saorview and Freesat. It's very tidy and the interface is great - better than the myriad of set top boxes out there save for the premium pay TV services from Sky etc.

For NetFlix, there the Apple TV - the new one. I also use an app called Infuse which I have to say is the nicest media streamer I've ever used and I include Plex and Kodi and other XMBC forks in that assessment. With that said, Infuse does not play audio files - just video. It costs €10 to buy.

For reference, I've owned and used the Amazon Fire TV, the Nvidia Shield TV, Boxee, Popcorn Hour PCH-410 and other old gen streamers. All with pros an cons.

But again for reliability, for smoothness and quality of playback and overall tidiness, in the context of NetFlix and streaming your own stuff the latest ATV is a peach.

Advertisement