Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried this dehumidifier - Meaco Exo 25 litre

Options
  • 24-01-2017 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've become almost condensation/damp obsessed since I recently moved into a new house. Some of the rooms are quite cold and the condensation in the mornings will drop down the windowsill!

I bought two of these little dehumidifiers a few weeks ago not knowing what to expect.. found them great.. or at least, I thought it was great, that they would collect maybe 500mls over 5 days running 24/7!

So I think I might upgrade to a big one and hope that it will dehumidify most of the house (a bungalow)

I'm thinking of buying this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Meaco-25L-Low-Energy-Dehumidryer/B01DNZ2A5G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485279931&sr=8-4&keywords=meaco+low

Would love to know if anyone has any experience with the brand or indeed, this model!?

I will be using it to hopefully maximise heating (small retro rads which don't pump that much heat!) and drying clothes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if you live in Irl. pop into your local electrical retailer, most of the bigger ones stock dehumidifiers a De Longhi 16 litre for example retails at about 230 euro more than adequate for a bungalow, should a problem arise under warranty you can always go back to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Hi OP, I don't have that model but I do have have the Meaco DD8L and I'm delighted with it. I use it when drying clothes indoors. It has a laundry setting and each time I empty the tank I shudder at where all that water was going before we got it. it was more expensive than some other models but i researched Which consumer magazine and decided from the reviews that it was worth it. I got it online from CH Marine Cork and it was next day delivery. I lent it to a friend to use to dry out plaster in her kitchen and she was delighted with it too. I wouldn't run it when we're not in the house as several years ago a dehumidifier was the cause of a fire in our neighbour's kitchen but it has an 8 hour timer setting. Probably illogical as I do leave dishwashers and washing machines on! It also switches off automatically when the tank is full

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

Hi OP, I don't have that model but I do have have the Meaco DD8L and I'm delighted with it. I use it when drying clothes indoors. It has a laundry setting and each time I empty the tank I shudder at where all that water was going before we got it. it was more expensive than some other models but i researched Which consumer magazine and decided from the reviews that it was worth it. I got it online from CH Marine Cork and it was next day delivery. I lent it to a friend to use to dry out plaster in her kitchen and she was delighted with it too. I wouldn't run it when we're not in the house as several years ago a dehumidifier was the cause of a fire in our neighbour's kitchen but it has an 8 hour timer setting. Probably illogical as I do leave dishwashers and washing machines on! It also switches off automatically when the tank is full

They seem like a very good, reputable brand. I ended up buying this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HO962RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My only worry now is that it won't work that efficiently when the heat isn't on full wack .. but sure we'll see!

raemie10 wrote: »
    They seem like a very good, reputable brand. I ended up buying this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HO962RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My only worry now is that it won't work that efficiently when the heat isn't on full wack .. but sure we'll see!

Just in case anyone is following this thread..

The dehumidifier arrived on Monday.
    I am in shock and awe at how much water it is extracting from the house!
    The air feels so much warmer when the heat is on.
    It's mad to think that all that water is in the air constantly.
    Well worth the money it costs.. I might actually but another one to keep in my sitting room (as it's quite a large room)
    I can't understand why more Irish people don't use dehumidifiers.. or why landlords don't provide them in houses.. so many people complain of damp/mould etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just in case anyone is following this thread..

The dehumidifier arrived on Monday.
    I am in shock and awe at how much water it is extracting from the house!
    The air feels so much warmer when the heat is on.
    It's mad to think that all that water is in the air constantly.
    Well worth the money it costs.. I might actually but another one to keep in my sitting room (as it's quite a large room)
    I can't understand why more Irish people don't use dehumidifiers.. or why landlords don't provide them in houses.. so many people complain of damp/mould etc!

The cost of running them.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »

This one (hope I'm not proven wrong with next elec bill) should be very low on the elec usage front!

'Low running costs at just 165 watts rated power consumption'

my3cents wrote: »

the one the guy quoted is a low energy one at 165 watts - hardly going to kill your electricity bill. you don't really need to run them 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This one (hope I'm not proven wrong with next elec bill) should be very low on the elec usage front!

'Low running costs at just 165 watts rated power consumption'

165W x 24 hours in the day gives a daily use of 4KW

Say a KW hour is 13cents the cost of running is 50 cents a days

Therefore around €180 a year.

running a few hours a day is sufficient in many cases.

Glad you're happy with it OP and to poster who commented on cost, I imagine the cost not to speak of the health impact of dealing with mould and damp would dwarf the cost the running a dehumidifier. However, OP I'm curious re your house. is it only damp because it's new and plaster/cement are still drying out? Because if a new house were going to be damp and needing a dehumidifier long term I imagine you have a problem. As I said in my earlier post I only use mine when drying wet laundry indoors. In the damp/mould threads I've read on Boards, posters usually relate damp/mould problems to ventilation and heat issues but if yours is only due to house being new it's probably only a short-term issue

• Advertisement

I've read on Boards, posters usually relate damp/mould problems to ventilation and heat issues but if yours is only due to house being new it's probably only a short-term issue
    I would agree with this, A well ventilated house should not have damp issues.

Glad you're happy with it OP and to poster who commented on cost, I imagine the cost not to speak of the health impact of dealing with mould and damp would dwarf the cost the running a dehumidifier. However, OP I'm curious re your house. is it only damp because it's new and plaster/cement are still drying out? Because if a new house were going to be damp and needing a dehumidifier long term I imagine you have a problem. As I said in my earlier post I only use mine when drying wet laundry indoors. In the damp/mould threads I've read on Boards, posters usually relate damp/mould problems to ventilation and heat issues but if yours is only due to house being new it's probably only a short-term issue

No, it's not a new house. It was built in the late 70's. We bought it knowing that it wouldn't be energy efficient (we fell in love with it despite any negatives!)
    We got lots of insulation in the attic last month. And the lady who owned the house had walls pumped years ago (wasn't great quality back then!)
    The house isn't Baltic but condensation dripping onto the windowsills was driving me mad.
    I actually bought a karcher window/glass hoover thing to use in the mornings too. (Can you tell I'm obsessed?!)
    There is one part of the house that doesn't get much sun during the day so I feel that those rooms don't heat up as well as other rooms.
    I have the heat on for a good chunk of the day but retention isn't amazing thus the 'need' for a dehumidifier :)

OP, you could be my neighbour! Also built late 70's with also early wall insulation that isn't great but ours is semi d in a housing estate whereas I'm guessing yours might be detached and is maybe in a rural area? Not being energy efficient until you gradually upgrade the insulation/heating is one thing but not sure there should be damp, though admittedly I know nothing about building. Are the windows single-glazed?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

If the humidity/condensation is not excessive such as due to rising damp or a leak, the running cost of a dehumidifier will likely offset or outperform the cost of heating the fresh air coming into the property from an additional vent to replace the air vented out, particularly on frosty and windy days.

The main reason a dehumidifier can make a room feel warmer is due to the release of latent heat. It takes 2.26MJ of energy (=0.63kWh) of heat to evaporate 1 litre of water. Evaporative air coolers exploit this by evaporating water to cool the air. A dehumidifier effectively does the reverse, so by the time that dehumidifier fills its 2.5 litre container, it has released 1.575kWh (0.63 x 2.5) of heat in addition to the waste heat from its power consumption. On the other hand, this extra heat is of little use in the summer, in which case it's best to switch off the machine and open some windows.

The best way to provide energy efficient ventilation (e.g. modern air tight insulated buildings) would be to use mechanical heat recovery ventilation. This has a heat exchanger that uses the exhaust air to preheat the fresh air and avoids the issue of draughts from free flowing vents on windy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Do you have a vent in each room? A open fire is not enough. You need a proper vent. They aren't that difficult to install. You can rent a borer from a hire shop and do it easily yourself. A vent allows moist air to escape. Any time I have seen mould in a house, the house either has no vents or the tenants/occupiers are covering them.

OP you need to make sure you use the humidity setting on the dehumidifier. You dont want to dry out the air too much.

Advertisement