Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Tolerance Manufacturing

Options
  • 24-01-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Working on a project at the minute that requires a gauge to be fabricated. The geometry is simple but the resolution is .001mm. Does anyone know a tool maker that could facilitate this?

My regulars cant make it to this spec.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Hi,

Working on a project at the minute that requires a gauge to be fabricated. The geometry is simple but the resolution is .001mm. Does anyone know a tool maker that could facilitate this?

My regulars cant make it to this spec.

Try Smithstown Light Engineering, generally very good for high precision work. I imagine they'd have serious issues with a 1um tolerance though.

If it's a gauge, will it be temperature controlled? Strong chance that thermal expansion over standard temps could take the gauge out of spec.

Try Smithstown Light Engineering, generally very good for high precision work.............

+1

highly recommended but the tolerance you require is a challenge conceptually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

MrBlack93 wrote:

I think you may go to NASA for that accuracy.

It really depends on the gauge , can you give more information on the shape, material and size of the gauge? smithstown are an excellent company to deal with but that kind of accuracy will be hard or near impossible to meet and expensive. A change in temperature would affect your gauge .

If you can provide some info I can ask my contact in smithstown for you .

Advertisement