Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings inns exams 2017

Options
  • 24-01-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am hoping to sit 2017 entrance exams to Kings inns. Currently taking jurisprudence and admin through Kings while working full time. Does anyone have any idea if these exams are possible to pass just using the materials on the King's inns website? Can't see many people selling the 2016 manuals from the prep courses. Also any advice on how long it would take to study would be welcome.
    Thanks

Mod
    Please don't sell material thru this thread.
    Material such a exam grids may be exchanged
    Apart from that good luck with your studies and exams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Get earlier manuals and keep up with any changes in Con or Criminal law.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The entrance exams for the King's Inns are at the same level as undergraduate exams so the same level of effort is required to pass them. What makes them tough is that there's 5 in 5 days, so unless you're super diligent and organised and have everything fully covered off beforehand, you will get very little sleep that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Legal Eagle 25

Hullaballoo, any tips for starting to study in January 2018 for exams? I always found Constitutional and Tort the most boring and therefore harder to get my head around. Much appreciated!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Have you ever studied for 5 exams over a period of 8 months before? It's a logistical nightmare.

You'll likely spend 6 months on Constitutional and Tort, get about halfway through them, realise you've the other 3 to do, cram for the other 3, realise you've forgotten everything from your 6 months studying Constitutional and Tort, cram for them too. I might be wrong and you might be an outlier in time management but I've seen that repeatedly through the years.

If I were you, I wouldn't put any stock in thinking you'll be able to recall stuff you covered in January by mid-August. Again, unless you are an outlier in terms of memory recall.

It's better to come up with a reasonable study timetable, using your experience of exams at undergrad level to know what you can cover and how quickly when the pressure is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Legal Eagle 25

I was thinking of doing some reading and research on some of the topics to get familiarised with them as most of the knowledge has left me since I finished my undergrad a few years ago.

Would you recommend the prep courses offered by Griffith and Independent? Strongly thinking of doing one. Just trying to get a feel for all the subjects again.

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement

I see from your other post that you have older manuals from prep courses. If you're going down the route of using manuals, I strongly recommend you try and find some that are more up-to-date.

The other thing about manuals is to cross-check them against the examinable syllabus for the year you are sitting. Sometimes, the examinable material switches focus for individual topics. So using 2014 manuals may lead you astray unless you can be sure by checking info on the KI website that they cover the material on the syllabus.

I don't see the need in doing prep courses in general, other than as a comfort blanket. If you are struggling with certain topics, a prep course may be worthwhile for you to put you back on an even keel. However, if you are struggling due to a lack of interest, I am unsure the best prep course in the world will help you.

Alternatively, I would try and find aspects of the overall subjects that do interest you. Under both the umbrella subjects of tort and constitutional, there are some meatier and more interesting parts. Focus on those there's a good chance that this will lead you to have a little more interest in some of the duller topics.

Also, feel free to use this forum (and the Law Students' forum - you'll need to request access if you haven't already) for help with topics. That's why the forums exist.

I am more than happy to spend some free time giving assistance to students in coming to terms with concepts/topics that are causing them trouble.

But back to your longer-term objectives. If you are planning on starting as early as January, I would start to cast a wide net and read revision notes, such as nutshells and other short texts in order to re-open the door to the subjects. You can then expand on various topics, making notes, then go back to the revision books, which can be bolstered by your notes. That's what I would do in an ideal scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daniel333

Hi has anyone done one of the many preparatory courses available and did you find it worth the money?

Advertisement