Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC and Overweight

Options
  • 24-01-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi just wondering has anyone had trouble with the above, we have been trying for a couple of months and by now I would be classed as obese.

Are the risks huge ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

During a discussion with our doctor at the ICSI clinic we were told that losing weight would definitely increase our chances, both of getting pregnant and then seeing the subsequent pregnancy through to term. Not sure if the same holds through for natural conception but I would image it may?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We had been trying for about a year, I had been losing weight but when I really focused properly on nutrition I got pregnant almost straight away.

By focusing on nutrition I mean a bug focus. Zero alcohol, takeaways, overstepped foods. Everything cooked from scratch using fresh veg and lean meats. I had memory cleaned up my act Mon to Friday and was training hard in the gym so was losing weight consistently but my weekends were very relaxed food wise. I do feel that last final food changeover the difference.

As it happens while pregnant I only put on half a stone my bump grew steadily. I kept up the weight training instills the six month mark, and took it very handy on the cardio stuff.

However while on maternity leave I have led a very sedentary lifestyle and piled on the pounds. Just back to gym and for me the food follows the gym.

I can't advise you, but I can only tell you what helped us.

Definitely the weight training, has been a revelation. I joined a semi private gym and took part in strength and conditioning classes.

Even if losing weight had no effect on conception it does make for a much easier pregnancy so it's a win win.

I know its hard, and here I am almost starting again on the weight side of things myself but it is so worth it, there's a great thread in the diet and nutrition forum called the general weight loss and support thread. The people posting there are all ages, shapes, sizes and backgrounds and is full of great advice, the fitness forum here is a great tool as well.

Sorry for rambling post but if losing weight gives you an extra chance, even if only for your mental state I really would urge you to try.
    Good luck on your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

JennyR1977 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering has anyone had trouble with the above, we have been trying for a couple of months and by now I would be classed as obese.

Are the risks huge ?

I had a BMI close to 40 on my first pregnancy. I had high blood pressure issues (my mother did before me) but baby measured small and although I was tested I didn't get gestational diabetes. Labour was tough but incredibly short in my case <2hrs start to finish, so I'm not sure being fit/lighter would have helped. I never had the traditional bump instead had a B shaped bump above and below the belly button, that still upsets me a bit to be honest

I strongly advice joining plussizepregnancy on Reddit, they are a fab community

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

I've had two pregnancies, each one seemed to happen without too long trying, one ended with Miscarriage. At the time of conception on both I was a lot lighter than I am now. We have been trying for a while now and it just doesn't seem to be working for us. I am a lot heavier now than I was on either previous pregnancies.
    I'm not sure if not getting pregnant is directly related to my weight, but it very well could be.

Advertisement