Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK citizen applying for Irish citizenship

Options
  • 24-01-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

*Note to Mods: If incorrect forum, please move*

Has anyone with UK citizenship living in Ireland applied for Irish citizenship?

The applicant has lived in Ireland most of their life, was married to an Irish citizen and has adult children who are Irish citizens.

The form Application by a person of full age for naturalisation as an Irish citizen seems to be aimed at someone who has relatively recently taken up residence in Ireland e.g. three different proofs of residence for each year of residence claimed.

The applicant does not have these proofs but has been resident for circa thirty years.

Has anyone made a similar application or know of someone who has?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Carnmore wrote: »

The applicant has lived in Ireland most of their life, was married to an Irish citizen and has adult children who are Irish citizens.

The form Application by a person of full age for naturalisation as an Irish citizen seems to be aimed at someone who has relatively recently taken up residence in Ireland e.g. three different proofs of residence for each year of residence claimed.

The applicant does not have these proofs but has been resident for circa thirty years.

Thanks in advance

If you are claiming citizenship as a spouse of an Irish Citizen, you only need to have three years residency in Ireland, so only 3 years of proof

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Carnmore wrote: »

Thanks in advance

I'm currently in the same position as the applicant in this post! Just wondering if they applied, under what category they applied, and how their application went?! Trying to decide whether to see a solicitor or just go for it? 🀔
    Cheers
    Cyndi

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

tivvo wrote: »
    I'm currently in the same position as the applicant in this post! Just wondering if they applied, under what category they applied, and how their application went?! Trying to decide whether to see a solicitor or just go for it? ��
    Cheers
    Cyndi

Hi Cyndi,
    The application was made under the residency category and it was an involved process to complete the completely paper-based application form. The €175 application fee is not refundable and if a mistake is made the application is deemed invalid and the fee is forfeited.
    The application was submitted in May 2018 and a decision to grant was received in November 2018. A further fee of €950 is then required and compulsory attendance at a citizenship ceremony in Kerry. A passport fee is also payable.
    The government appear to be making it as difficult as possible for citizenship applicants with their antiquated application process, moving the ceremony venue from Dublin to Kerry and the exorbitant cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I applied under residence. It's a pain to put together the paperwork to support the application. It's a straightforward process as long as you have utility bills and bank account statements for each year. You will need to have a load of the documents certified, so you'll need a solicitor/commissioner of oaths at some stage for that. My application went in in May 2018, and I got approval in May 2019, just in time for the whole issue of the judge's ruling to put everything on hold, and then attended the ceremony in December 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Thanks for those replies guys! So, just to be clear. If applying under the marriage route, I only need to supply documents for the last 3 years? I don't need to attach bills/mortgage/tax etc from all my years living here?
    Cyndi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

tivvo wrote: »
    Thanks for those replies guys! So, just to be clear. If applying under the marriage route, I only need to supply documents for the last 3 years? I don't need to attach bills/mortgage/tax etc from all my years living here?
    Cyndi

And the same for your spouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

I looked into it and it will cost you well over a grand except if you are a refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I looked into it and it will cost you well over a grand except if you are a refugee.
    It only costs that if your application is successful.

The fee to apply is €175. If the application is successful, there's a fee of €950 for the grant of a certificate of naturalisation. The latter fee can be reduced or waived for minors, widows/widowers of Irish citizens, refugees and stateless persons.

Advertisement