Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk buying a used router?

Options
  • 24-01-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

hi just curious with the risk of buying a used router

my worry is not the risk of will it work when i get it more is there any security risks with getting a used router or would a factory reset be good enough?
    apologies if this sounds like a stupid question and if it has been asked before but i just want to be sure before i buy one

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

A factory reset should be good enough, however I would be inclined to flash it with DD-WRT or some other firmware to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

A factory reset should be good enough, however I would be inclined to flash it with DD-WRT or some other firmware to be sure to be sure.

thanks what is dd-wrt, is it like a scanner for the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hococop wrote: »
    thanks what is dd-wrt, is it like a scanner for the router?

No, it's an open source (Linux based) firmware which is compatible with a lot of different router makes and models. It also adds features which the stock firmware on some routers never had (VPN, QoS, etc.).

Full details here https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No, it's an open source (Linux based) firmware which is compatible with a lot of different router makes and models. It also adds features which the stock firmware on some routers never had (VPN, QoS, etc.).

Full details here https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/

so it would make to router more secure, id assume the factory reset would be enough but ill look into dd-wrd if i buy the router just in case

thanks ithurts

Advertisement