Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best physical therapy course on offer in ireland?

• 24-01-2017 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47

i was looking into this area
    physiotherapy seems to be available
    osteopathy does not

chiropractor study?

i see there are some courses available through a college in cork and dublin and some place called NTC in dublin also

Any recommendation for any one particular one of these?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

physical therapy is charlatan course. Not formally recognised.

Physiotherapy is a formal qualification and you would be better served following this career rather than some mickey mouse course in NTC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 CoolGuy2000

physical therapy is charlatan course. Not formally recognised.

Physiotherapy is a formal qualification and you would be better served following this career rather than some mickey mouse course in NTC.
    Yeah but physio takes 3 to 4 years at uni level.
    NTC course takes 15 months and income is up on 60 euro per hourly appointment
    Not bad for a years work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Not bad for a years work

Yeah, not bad if you are happy to eschew science and be a quack.

There is a private institution in Cork where I could get qualified in about 15 or 16 months - called the IIPT.

Would anyone have a recommendation for them versus the National Training Centre course?

Do a real degree

• Advertisement

Do a real degree
    4 years??
    Hell no!!

Or what I mean to say is - as far as physical/massage therapy is concerned - hell no.

Once I have this course done, I intend to do a masters in neuropharmacology.
    But again - that's one year - not 4.

I would also - down the line - want to practice in lymphatic or cellulitic massage - so, an advanced massage therapy course - such as NMT may be preferable.

From what I understand, the physical therapy course in Cork would be more advanced and would allow its graduates to actually diagnose injuries and make referrals etc.

superglue wrote: »
    Not bad for a years work

Yeah, not bad if you are happy to eschew science and be a quack.
    I think I'll call my future practice, "Shaman physical therapies - specializing in the arts of witchdoctory. Advance payments required".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Would you really like to be a physio but just don't have the time? They might enable you to give a good shoulder rub but these courses won't qualify you to diagnose much, unfortunately. Don't be fooled into thinking that NMT is an advanced form of anything. It's just another unsubstantiated "therapy" with pseudoscientific underpinnings.

If you intend on doing a masters in neuropharmacology then I presume you place some value on the scientific method. There's not much scientific evidence for the content of many of these physical therapy courses I'm sorry to say.

• Advertisement

superglue wrote: »
    Would you really like to be a physio but just don't have the time? They might enable you to give a good shoulder rub but these courses won't qualify you to diagnose much, unfortunately. Don't be fooled into thinking that NMT is an advanced form of anything. It's just another unsubstantiated "therapy" with pseudoscientific underpinnings.

If you intend on doing a masters in neuropharmacology then I presume you place some value on the scientific method. There's not much scientific evidence for the content of many of these physical therapy courses I'm sorry to say.
    Neuropharmacology would be if I ever decided to go back into full time employment.

I want this qualification so I can work part time, my own hours, and have access to work whilst I travel that doesn't involve major responsibility.

What I'd like to know at this point would be - is there a major advantage to doing the course in Cork with IIPT - over the neuromuscular course with NTC in Dublin??

Cork is hella less accessible than Dublin for me, plus I'd have to pay overnights for the weekend there - where I have a friend I can stay with for free in Dublin.

I'm going ahead with one or the other of them at this point but - various points of view suggest the IIPT course in Cork may be more advanced and have better employment/$$$$$ outcomes.

Can anyone here offer insight regarding this?

Cause what you seem to be suggesting is that, both are pretty much going to be regarding as glorified massage therapy courses - and hey - like I said, that's kool and the gang.

IIPT physical therapy syllabus:
    • 10 Weekends of Practical & Theory Lectures at the college
    • 14 Lessons of correspondence homework with the Northern Institute in Manchester
    • Joint Examination & Anatomy of the Knee, Shoulder, Neck, Hip and Back
    • Systems – C.V.S.- Digestive- Renal – Respiratory- Endocrine
    • Neurology
    • Sports injuries pertaining to the above joints
    • All Massage Techniques
    • 2 Assessment exams during course year
    • Final exam on last weekend of collegesecond semester:
      • 12 weekends of Practical & Theory Lectures
      • 12 Lessons of correspondence homework with NIM
      • 100 Clinical Hours
      • Advanced Massage Techniques
      • Joint Examination, Manipulation and Anatomy of, Foot/Ankle – Elbow/ Wrist – Knee – Shoulder
      • Advanced Examination – M.E.T. of Neck, Back and Hip
      • Advanced Sports Injuries pertaining to above joints
      • Joint Strapping
      • Muscle Kenesio Taping
      • 2 assessment exams during course year
      • Final Exam on last weekend of college

Neuromuscular NTC syllabus:
    • Functional Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology   
    • The Skeletal System
    • Arthrokinematics
    • The Muscular System
    • The Blood and Circulatory System
    • The Respiratory System
    • The Nervous and Endocrine System
    • Fascia and Myokinetic Chains and Links
    • Overview of all other major systems applied to Physical Therapy
    • Laws of European Neuromuscular Therapy
    • Orthopaedic Sports Massage Techniques
    • Postural Assessment and Range of Motion testing.
    • Soft Tissue Release
    • Myofascial Release
    • Event Massage including pre and post event
    • Positional Release
    • Strain Counterstrain
    • Muscle Energy Techniques
    • Etiology, Formation and Treatment of Myofascial Trigger Points.
    • Neuromuscular Techniques
    • Bodywork Nutrition
    • Full Body Kinetic Chain Assessment
    • Injury Scenarios and Differential Diagnosis
    • Role of the therapist including professional conduct, ethical practice and setting up professional practice.
    • Physical Therapy as a profession (Includes aspects of Clinical Practice)

It doesn't look like you'll be able to get much information on this. It's clear the people on this website won't support or give credence to these Mickey Mouse courses. I'm not sure what you think your employment prospects will be longer term , the government are actively regulating this area and physical therapists will be clamped down on. There is no basis in evidence for what they do. I'd advise keep your money and apply to a physiotherapy course. Get a loan if needs be.

It doesn't look like you'll be able to get much information on this. It's clear the people on this website won't support or give credence to these Mickey Mouse courses. I'm not sure what you think your employment prospects will be longer term , the government are actively regulating this area and physical therapists will be clamped down on. There is no basis in evidence for what they do. I'd advise keep your money and apply to a physiotherapy course. Get a loan if needs be.
    Woah - harsh.
    I mean - I know of dudes right now making a fantastic living off these courses - fifty to sixty euro a session - three sessions a day; leaves them all the time for training - which is exactly what I need.

At the very least, it's a solid massage therapy qualification - no?

Why was my above post with the course syllabus's clipped?

That was the pertinent information right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jamiered

Hi..Ive signed up for the NTC course in Dublin - have a few friends who did the course and spoke very highly of it, and some have moved on to other area such dry needling etc and all are working with sports teams, and some are even treating people privately, and more importantly, making lots of money.
    Granted, its not a degree in physiotherapy, but most people completing degrees in Physiotheraphy want to work in hospitals or set up their own businesses. There's hundreds of sporting teams around Ireland crying out for sports therapist and the NTC course is tailored for those needs.
    The majority of sports injuries are minor and very treatable - as a GAA and Soccer player, Ive had many an injury and have been treated by NTC qualified therapists, and you know what, they were just as good as any physiotherapist I've gone to.

Advertisement