Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ON LEAD only places to walk dogs

• 24-01-2017 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Folks,
    Do any of you know of places where dogs are mostly kept on their leads? My dog gets very stressed with off lead dogs and I'm looking for new places to bring him. I am looking for places around Dublin, Kildare,Wicklow, Meath areas.

As a side note...I am only looking for new places to bring me dog and not training advice. I have tried to rehabilitate my dog so he less stressed with other dogs under the guidance of a number of dog trainers (one of which was the DSPCA).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

this website should be very helpfull.
    It also says if dogs are allowed. Look for the more remote walks you will rarely encounter any dogs there. good luck

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx?c=Dublin&t=-1&l=1&g=All&f=All

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kar_M

Thank you Ms Doubtfire1...I will check that out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What about Blessington? I used to have a walk up there was around a more remote part of the lake, never came across another dog. I feel your pain. The dog I had then went wild at other dogs off the lead, very stressful.

Thank you pilly, Blessington would work for us

It is indeed very stressful, not only due to the fact that your dog is completely stressed out but very often the other dog owner has no recall on their dog and their dog just will not leave your dog alone.

Sent you a pm there with directions.

• Advertisement

FAB!!! Thanks pilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Newbridge House is nice for a walk, the beach is only down the road also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

from my experience dog walkers don't pay attention to signs asking to keep their dogs on leads so your best bet is to go somewhere theres not many ppl walking dogs

Knine wrote: »
    Newbridge House is nice for a walk, the beach is only down the road also.

Lovely! Is there many dogs off lead though?

ganmo wrote: »
    from my experience dog walkers don't pay attention to signs asking to keep their dogs on leads so your best bet is to go somewhere theres not many ppl walking dogs

Very true, and that is why I am posting here...to get names of some of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Russborough house in Blessington.

Be wary round the lake in Blessington, most of us would have our dogs off lead there

Springwell wrote: »

Be wary round the lake in Blessington, most of us would have our dogs off lead there

Russborough looks lovely!

Thank you, good to know about the lake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Kar_M wrote: »
    Lovely! Is there many dogs off lead though?

They are supposed to be kept on the lead in Newbridge House. The beach is huge so you can easily avoid dogs when the tide is well out especially Portrane. There is a chipper there for after walk refreshments

Knine wrote: »
    They are supposed to be kept on the lead in Newbridge House. The beach is huge so you can easily avoid dogs when the tide is well out especially Portrane. There is a chipper there for after walk refreshments

Ohhhh,CHIPPER! Fab!

Not where I go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

pilly wrote: »
    Not where I go. :)

You'd be surprised - I know pretty much all the "hidden" bits as we never use the tracks at all! Training gundogs with other off lead dogs bouncing up is a pain so we're always found off the beaten track. The difference being mine would be at heel/working and not approach another dog. I've met the odd off lead (usually reactive) dog in those areas usually because they're trying to avoid other dog owners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Kar_M wrote: »
    Very true, and that is why I am posting here...to get names of some of places.

Marley park in rathfarnham you're supposed to have your dog on a lead and most do to be fair, not mine but my dog runs with me and has no interest in other dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Marley park in rathfarnham you're supposed to have your dog on a lead and most do to be fair, not mine but my dog runs with me and has no interest in other dogs

Was just going to mention Marlay Park as well, the park keepers (if that's what you call them?) seem pretty proactive about telling people their dog should be on lead. Very nice walk around that park, although it can be quite busy at times.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Two other people beat me to it but I was going to suggest Marley Park. Yes you will encounter lots of dogs but the wardens there do be quite strict about keeping dogs on leads so the majority of dogs I have come across there have been on leads.

There is a place I tend to go to close to Kilternan up the Dublin mountains, called Barnaslingan Wood. Any time I have been there, I have rarely experienced other dogs. Its not a guarantee you wont meet other dogs there but I rarely have and if you do, you have plenty of options to duck into the woods and avoid the off lead dog should you meet one!

Its funny your dog is like that! My dog is the opposite! She loves dogs off lead but doesn't like when they are on lead. Gotta love their quirks huh! :)

Ashbx wrote: »
    Two other people beat me to it but I was going to suggest Marley Park. Yes you will encounter lots of dogs but the wardens there do be quite strict about keeping dogs on leads so the majority of dogs I have come across there have been on leads.

There is a place I tend to go to close to Kilternan up the Dublin mountains, called Barnaslingan Wood. Any time I have been there, I have rarely experienced other dogs. Its not a guarantee you wont meet other dogs there but I rarely have and if you do, you have plenty of options to duck into the woods and avoid the off lead dog should you meet one!

Its funny your dog is like that! My dog is the opposite! She loves dogs off lead but doesn't like when they are on lead. Gotta love their quirks huh! :)

In one of my old dogs it was a case of jealousy, if he saw a dog off the lead he wanted off too so he'd go mental!! Couldn't let him off though because he was half deaf so wouldn't respond if he got too far away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Punchestown racecourse, has a circuit that is about 2-3 miles, you can go cross-country or just on the ambulance track (paved), there are lots of streams/waterways too. It is patrolled (by a grumpy old man in his little car) to ensure that dogs are always on leash :D There is still the odd person with off leash dogs, but not very many. If you dont go at weekends, or after 9.30-10.30 approx on weekdays, you will have the place practically to yourself.
    No chipper but a very nice cafe a couple hundred yards past the main gate!

Marley park sounds perfect!
    And the racecourse also sounds like a good option

So far I have 4/5 new places, I am so glad I posted.

Thank you for your posts! If anyone thinks of other places please do post.

Just read about a local (Naas area) class starting up - if interested PM me and I'll send you their details - heres the blurb:

For all dogs that find being out in public a bit too stressful, we are starting a 3 week course that teaches your dog that there's no need to yell at others. It also teaches you the skills to manage your dog's behaviour in the long run, to help them overcome their reactivity. This class holds max 5 dogs so get in touch early to book a place. The three week course costs €60 per dog for half an hour each week. If you have any questions please get in touch. Please note, filling in the form does not guarantee a place.

Thanks aonb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

Out in Meath there is Balrath Woods, the long walk is about 2.5km and dogs are to be on lead. I have done it a few times and people do seem to keep them on.
    Further up in Slane there is the Ramparts walk from Slane toward Navan along the Boyne, It is off lead but you very very rarely meet people/dogs 
    Laytown beach heading to Julianstown. when the tide is out the beach is huge and again rarely meet people, any people I have seen usually walk up near the edge and I walk along the water edge. 
    My dogs are a bit much for other dogs so I try to let them have their off lead time without any other dogs around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

aonb wrote: »
    Just read about a local (Naas area) class starting up - if interested PM me and I'll send you their details - heres the blurb:

For all dogs that find being out in public a bit too stressful, we are starting a 3 week course that teaches your dog that there's no need to yell at others. It also teaches you the skills to manage your dog's behaviour in the long run, to help them overcome their reactivity. This class holds max 5 dogs so get in touch early to book a place. The three week course costs €60 per dog for half an hour each week. If you have any questions please get in touch. Please note, filling in the form does not guarantee a place.

so 180 euro ? wow that's steep it would want to be guaranteed to work !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I took it as €60 for the full course?

No I think its €60 for the course, for 3 x half hour classes spread spread over 3 weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

On a recent visit there, I counted three dogs off their leads within an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Castletown House in Celbridge can be all right IF you stick to the main avenue. As soon as you hit any other part, all bets are off. But I've found it better with my reactive dog than most other parks. You also usually have somewhere to 'go', another path to duck onto.

Even in the other parts, most of the dog owners with out-of-control off-lead dogs will at least apologize and grab their dogs. It's sad that this is now what I consider to be 'good'.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm looking forward to trying these places out

Advertisement