Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling very lost in life.

Options
  • 23-01-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello all,
    I was hoping to ask for some advice, I am 29 and moved over to the UK last September to start a 2 year masters course in occupational therapy after coming from nursing. I am now 5 months into the course and feel like its not the career for me and I have made a mistake. I have struggled to get my head around the theory and I am currently on placement in acute setting which I have found ok.
     I guess I feel like at my age I should have my career figured out and feel so lost. The course has been extremely intense academic wise and this week I will be receiving results. I really do not know what to do, do I carry on with course for sake of it so I don't feel like a failure or do I cut my losses and drop out and go back to different speciality of nursing. I left nursing due to the stressful working conditions in Ireland but feel like I should of explored different areas further. I have asked  boyfriend, friends and family for advice and I am getting mixed messages! feel like this is a big decision I need to make but would appreciate any advice x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My advice is to work hard and stay on your course. At 29 your not to old to be changing career or doing a masters. You have already told us that you left nursing due to the stressfull working conditions here in Ireland.

Is your boyfriend in the UK with you or is he in Ireland? I know woman who droped out of things or changed jobs to suit boyfriends. Long term it was not a good idea as they were stuck in jobs or in situations they hated. Some of these woman give up their dreams as they though their boyfriends wanted marriage/kids/houses and found out at a later date he did not want this.

My feeling is that it took you a long time to decide to move the the uk and to change career. It takes time to settle in a new county and to get use to the study in a new course. I know it may not be easy at the moment but you have to look at this long term. Decide where do you want to be in 5 years time - working long hours, weekends nights or working more 9 to 5 hours?

I have a friend of mine who is 10 years older than you and they are currently doing a masters part time so they can change career. This is costing them a lot of money and time. My friend is not finding it easy but they know that long term it will be worth it.

Advertisement