Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning Irish TV + Keep it country channels

Options
  • 22-01-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    We have a freeview box on one tv and the other is saorview and we cannot get these channels tuned in. Are these only available on sky?

Thanks
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its gone bust so dont waste your time

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

Yes. Not on Freeview or Saorview. Available on satellite free to air. Still there last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭student89

Thanks for reply, this mean I would need to get a skybox? I dont want to sign upto sky but if i get the box but how can I get the irish channels then?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When you say "freeview" do you really mean free to air channels from a satellite dish? Or are you just wholly reliant on an aerial for TV channels?

If it's the former, then check here for tuning details. If it's the latter, then as mentioned, you're out of luck as a dish and receiver are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭student89

Yeah its just an aerial we have installed, if we want the sky freeview then we will need a dish but will we get both irish and sky channels via a dish if i dont have an active sky subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

student89 wrote: »
    Yeah its just an aerial we have installed, if we want the sky freeview then we will need a dish but will we get both irish and sky channels via a dish if i dont have an active sky subscription?

No. You will need both a dish and an aerial. The dish for the FTA satellite channels and the aerial for the saorview channels. My advise would be to get a combo box that would tune in the saorview and the FTA channels and you would need only one remote control. www.freetv.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

liam7831 wrote: »
    Its gone bust so dont waste your time

It has been bought out by the Irish Post and will continue to broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Maz2016 wrote: »
    It has been bought out by the Irish Post and will continue to broadcast.

Sorry, I can read the news too but unfortunately can't tell the future

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

student89 wrote: »

You badly need to get familiar with the terminology.
    Sky uses satellite to provide their service.
    There are lots of channels on Satellite that are not part of the Sky service.
    Freesat is a company which provides an EPG for lots of channels on Satellite. Those channels are not behind a paywall and do not require a subscription. Hence they are Free To Air (FTA).

You can get a 'Sky box' which is designed for the Sky service. You require a subscription to receive the 'Sky' channels, but it can be used to receive FTA channels without a subscription. It is not an idea interface for this use.
    You can get a Freesat box which is designed to provide the Freesat EPG access to the channels who have an agreement with Freesat..
    You can buy a FTA box such as supplied by Ferguson which will usually have a reduced EPG.
    You could also build your own receiver in a PC case.

Saorview is the Irish terrestrial service. No Subscription required.
    Freeview is the English terrestrial service. No Subscription required.
    Terrestrial services are only available via aerial, and you must be within the footprint of the transmitter.

Maybe that simplified synopsis will help you determine what you want and then what's required to receive what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Is keep it country broadcasting FTA yet? I have tried to tune in the Lynsat frequencies but its not there just a black screen with full signal last night?28.5°E Astra 2E UK
    54 11426 V DVB-S
    MPEG-2 27500
    5/6

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is keep it country broadcasting FTA yet? I have tried to tune in the Lynsat frequencies but its not there just a black screen with full signal last night?28.5°E Astra 2E UK
    54 11426 V DVB-S
    MPEG-2 27500
    5/6

thanks.

Try 11081H Service 50331

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Sorry to raise an old thread. Is keep it country gone from satellite altogether? Parents used to watch it but it's gone and I can't see it on any other frequency?

Thanks,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Spotlight TV (formerly Keep It Country) was removed from Freesat and Sky on 31st August

It no longer broadcasts

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don’t drag up old threads, but have a look on the satellite forum for some more recent discussion on this topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement