Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1545 RAM Upgrade

Options
  • 22-01-2017 9:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, I have a 2010 model Dell Inspiron 1545.
    I've upgraded to Windows 10 and all is fine, relatively speaking.

I use my laptop mainly for AutoCAD 2017 and i've noticed that it feels sluggish at times.

I'm thinking its because the original 4GB RAM is still in there.
    From a google, it seems that the 1545 can take 8GB max so i'd like to upgrade to 8GB RAM.

I am assuming its in 2 chips, so I will need 2x4GB RAM Modules.

I want to make sure I order the correct items, so just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what modules to order or tell me where I can confirm what modules to order.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

kceire wrote: »

I use my laptop mainly for AutoCAD 2017 and i've noticed that it feels sluggish at times.

From a google, it seems that the 1545 can take 8GB max so i'd like to upgrade to 8GB RAM.

I want to make sure I order the correct items, so just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what modules to order or tell me where I can confirm what modules to order.

Thanks in advance.

Run the system scanner on Crucials website and it gives you a list of compatible components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thanks in advance.

You're looking for DDR2 667MHz SODIMM

https://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2sodimm/8gbgskillddr2pc25300laptopdualchannelmemorykit.html

That price seems on the high side but shop around for something with similar spec and you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks lads.

sugarman wrote: »
    DDR2 will be expensive new as they've more or less phased it out. We're at DDR4 now.

Have a look in CeX, Adverts, eBay etc..

I presume the DDR4 would not work in mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I presume the DDR4 would not work in mine?

Nope, only DDR2.

Also, in your case, you have to remember that your CPU is very old, out of date, and very low-end, possibly (rather, absolutely) you should be looking at a new laptop to improve AutoCAD performance.

These days, entry level i3's with 8GB ram (ddr3) can be had for around €350, and it would be a massive upgrade on your current laptop.

• Advertisement

Nope, only DDR2.

Also, in your case, you have to remember that your CPU is very old, out of date, and very low-end, possibly (rather, absolutely) you should be looking at a new laptop to improve AutoCAD performance.

These days, entry level i3's with 8GB ram (ddr3) can be had for around €350, and it would be a massive upgrade on your current laptop.

Thanks, deffo something to consider when funds allow.

Would this RAM be ok for my machine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay-DDR2-SODIMM-200pin-Laptops/dp/B003Z978NU/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485180890&sr=1-11&keywords=667mhz+ddr2+sodimm+8gb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

That ram should be ok, but it may only provide a minimal performance boost, or not at all unless you are maxing out the 4GB you have already. If task manager isnt showing you maxing out or nearly maxing out your existing ram when autocad is sluggish i wouldnt expect to see any difference. Its not a magic bullet.

That £110 might be better put toward a new laptop. You could also make a few quid from selling your own.

I presume its mostly 2D small files you work on?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    That ram should be ok, but it may only provide a minimal performance boost, or not at all unless you are maxing out the 4GB you have already. If task manager isnt showing you maxing out or nearly maxing out your existing ram when autocad is sluggish i wouldnt expect to see any difference. Its not a magic bullet.

That £110 might be better put toward a new laptop. You could also make a few quid from selling your own.

I presume its mostly 2D small files you work on?

Yes. 2D planning applications.
    I don't do BIM or anything on it.

Any recommendations for a good laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yes. 2D planning applications.
    I don't do BIM or anything on it.

Any recommendations for a good laptop?
    Your requirements aren't that high in that's case. A modern i3 or i5 should be fine, with 8GB of ram. An ssd can be helpful as well, particularly loading xrefs if they are large. What's your current CPU?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Your requirements aren't that high in that's case. A modern i3 or i5 should be fine, with 8GB of ram. An ssd can be helpful as well, particularly loading xrefs if they are large. What's your current CPU?

Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 202GHz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 202GHz

And it only feels slow to you now? I'd slit my wrist if you made me use that, even when they came out they were slow.

And it only feels slow to you now? I'd slit my wrist if you made me use that, even when they came out they were slow.

Yeah, to be honest. It handled autocad 2006 fine, then 2010 and 2012 fine. On upgrade to 2016 I noticed a slow down and that continued over to 2017 autocad.

Other than that it doesn't get any use, not with smart TVs and iPads etc

I'd say put some extra ram and a SSD into it, but the true value option would be to buy a new machine(example) and use that for another couple of years. Upgrading the current machine at 8 years is throwing money down the drain for a short burst of speed.

Yeah, even to buy new these days, you can get a new Skylake i3, 8GB ram, and a 128GB SSD for €350 for thereabouts. Laptopsdirect are a good place to start. The link above is refurbished rather than new, so just be aware about what you're buying as laptopsdirect do have a lot of b-grade stock.

I'd just sell your current one as is for €100 and pick up something like I've outlined above for €350 and call it a day. You might also see great benefit in getting a full HD screen for AutoCad, which will set you back around €50+ extra on the above.

Only downside to going down the SSD path is any older platter hard-drive is painful to use afterwards. <-- Hardcore SSD user since 2009 I think.

Only downside to going down the SSD path is any older platter hard-drive is painful to use afterwards. <-- Hardcore SSD user since 2009 I think.

My issue would be storage space then but I suppose I could use an external drive?

My issue would be storage space then but I suppose I could use an external drive?

If you want. I've gotten used to not storing crap on my pc like tons of movies.

If you want. I've gotten used to not storing crap on my pc like tons of movies.

Ditto. I have a 240GB M2, enough for the OS and the 3 or so games I play at any one time - everything else goes on external drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have a 120Gb SSD for Windows.

A 240Gb SSD for games.
    ...another 700Gb SSD for more games... :D

Advertisement