Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea enter the smart lighting world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

good spot. €15 for a smart GU10 bulb would be sweet!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The E14 ship has already sailed for me I'm afraid,

I started off with about 4 E14 lamps (using adapters) but have since replaced them all with E27 lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Interestingly it looks like they *used* to work with Hue, but the last update (or possibly the one before that) stopped it- seems that there are two different ZigBee protocols in use, ZLL and ZHA, which should technically work together but don't here for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ibFoxer wrote:
    Interestingly it looks like they *used* to work with Hue, but the last update (or possibly the one before that) stopped it- seems that there are two different ZigBee protocols in use, ZLL and ZHA, which should technically work together but don't here for whatever reason.

Maybe smartThings will do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Stoner wrote: »
    Maybe smartThings will do the job

Seems like it will, there has been success with smart things integration, but that's another device to add to an already growing amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I know philips reverted an update that locked out some 3rd party bulbs - but that was early last year. Will have to wait and see now I suppose.

-Coley.

coley wrote: »
    I know philips reverted an update that locked out some 3rd party bulbs - but that was early last year. Will have to wait and see now I suppose.

-Coley.

Sounds like something the competition authority might frown on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ted1 wrote: »

Not really... it's just a walled garden like Apple have... they don't let anyone interfere with their systems unless they can make big profits from them...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not really... it's just a walled garden like Apple have... they don't let anyone interfere with their systems unless they can make big profits from them...

Apple do let other Apps use their system, it's how they make their money.

• Advertisement

Apple do let other Apps use their system, it's how they make their money.

...some... iTunes is intrinsic to the whole apple ecosystem... they want you to buy through their marketplace... everything! to the extent that they forced Google Maps off their system some years ago for a vastly inferior product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

...some... iTunes is intrinsic to the whole apple ecosystem... they want you to buy through their marketplace... everything! to the extent that they forced Google Maps off their system some years ago for a vastly inferior product.

Actually the Google Maps story is much more complicated then that.

When the iPhone first launched, the default maps app it came with was written by Apple engineers, but it used Google Maps data underneath, licensed from Google.

When the license ran out, Google said they would continue to license the underlying maps data, but now you have to give us all your customer data (location, etc.).

Apple rightfully said no way in hell to this, our customers privacy is vitally important, we aren't just going to turn over their data to you. As a result, the underlying google maps data was removed from the default Apple Maps app and replaced by Apples own mapping data.

Google then launched their own dedicated Google Maps app in the app store.

In the end it all worked out extremely well. People who value their privacy can continue to use the default Apple Maps apps, while those who like advanced features can use the Google Maps app, since now that Google have direct control over it, they can add new features much faster (but at the cost of sharing your data with Google).

bk wrote: »
    Actually the Google Maps story is much more complicated then that.

When the iPhone first launched, the default maps app it came with was written by Apple engineers, but it used Google Maps data underneath, licensed from Google.

When the license ran out, Google said they would continue to license the underlying maps data, but now you have to give us all your customer data (location, etc.).

Apple rightfully said no way in hell to this, our customers privacy is vitally important, we aren't just going to turn over their data to you. As a result, the underlying google maps data was removed from the default Apple Maps app and replaced by Apples own mapping data.

Google then launched their own dedicated Google Maps app in the app store.

In the end it all worked out extremely well. People who value their privacy can continue to use the default Apple Maps apps, while those who like advanced features can use the Google Maps app, since now that Google have direct control over it, they can add new features much faster (but at the cost of sharing your data with Google).

I think we're derailing the discussion... But, but Apple are harvesting your data as well... they just present the fact in a much more refined way... that's what they do, repackage things in a way that sells product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nope, nothing illegal about it at all!

Nothing stopping a company from stopping unauthorized devices from using their hub and software. Philips could rightfully argue that third party bulbs pose a security risk to the system.

They could only get in trouble if they originally advertised and promoted the system as an open system and then tried to close it, but I don't think they ever did that. They have never officially supported third party bulbs.

I think we're derailing the discussion... But, but Apple are harvesting your data as well... they just present the fact in a much more refined way... that's what they do, repackage things in a way that sells product.

Oh absolutely, any maps app couldn't work without your private data.

The difference is that Apple makes the vast majority of it's money off selling actual hardware. Where Google makes most of it's profit out of packing and selling your profile to advertising companies.

Apple sells you products, for Google you are the product.

I use and enjoy lots of Google services and apps, however I am well aware of the trade off in using their services and I'm ok with it. However I'm also certain that at least for the moment, Apple are far more focused on privacy and keeping your data private then Google are. You can clearly and easily see this in the fundamental design decisions of their products.

Look at Googles new messaging service Allo, Google specifically designed it without end to end encryption, as such encryption would mean they wouldn't be able to scan and analyse your messages. Apples iMessage on the other hand has had end to end encryption since it launched and now the likes of Whatsapp, etc. are also following suit. Apple has vigorously defended attempts by the FBI, etc. to break it's encryption.

As I said, I'm happily using Googles services, but I understand the trade off and their is a world of difference between Googles approach and Apples approach to their users privacy. They are in no way comparable.

And they were forced to out it on, just like Microsoft have to offer different browsers and search engines like chrome has to iffer different search engines.

And they were forced to out it on, just like Microsoft have to offer different browsers and search engines like chrome has to iffer different search engines.

Actually you are wrong, read my post above. Apple never pulled Google Maps from the app store and they never were forced to put it on.

Apple decided to stop using Google Maps data for their own default Apple Maps app and as a result Google launched their own Google Maps app in the app store with zero objection from Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

I had no problem getting Osram Lightify E14 Candle bulbs working with my Hue Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

What's this tread about?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Lads keep this on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

v10 wrote:
    I had no problem getting Osram Lightify E14 Candle bulbs working with my Hue Hub

Were they ever knocked off during the times that Philips dropped third party support?

My understanding is as discussed above the the friends of hue stamp costs money, this I'd imagine drives up the cost of the competitions products.

If a manufacturer like Ikea don't have it then they might fall off the platform at Philips whim. I think for that reason it would be advisable to possibly look at getting the lamps to work on a hub that has a slightly more open policy on integration with ZigBee kit. However if you already have a hue it's worth a go I guess

Advertisement