Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examining Junior Cycle English

Options
  • 22-01-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi there,
    In the past week has anyone who previously corrected JC English gotten a letter from the SEC thanking them for their years of service and to apply again if they wish to correct the new JC English? I was a bit disappointed not to recurve the usual - do you wish to accept/decline the appointment letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Hi there,
    In the past week has anyone who previously corrected JC English gotten a letter from the SEC thanking them for their years of service and to apply again if they wish to correct the new JC English? I was a bit disappointed not to recurve the usual - do you wish to accept/decline the appointment letter.

Would it be anything to do with the industrial action i.e. maybe the majority of teachers are ASTI and seeing that they are not allowed to attend in-service - are they still breaking the union motion so they are leaving it up to each corrector to decide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Give them a call. I examine another subject and got the reappointment form in December. They might have made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

I suppose giving each teacher a chance to apply is fair as it is employment by the SEC and with all the directives gives every teacher a chance at earning over the summer.
    I rang them during December and they stated they were undecided what to do with JC English. Obviously this is their solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Has it not been reduced to 1 paper this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

They did something similar with the DCG back in the day when it changed from 2 papers to 1.

Can't remember the exact details but the numbers were halved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Can't remember the exact details but the numbers were halved.

Well they'll definitely have less numbers this year, but I'd be surprised if they'll easily recruit the necessary amount of examiners for the new JC paper; unless the pay has seen a significant increase?

I didn't correct English last year, but I applied to correct one month before the state exams. When I applied I was told that all positions had been filled, but my late application would give me a better chance of receiving a position in 2017. The guy who gave me that piece of advice clearly hadn't been told that my particular subject was crying out for examiners to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

Anybody know what they intend to pay to correctors for the new JC English paper? It would have been helpful had information been stated on letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's never advertised in advance what the rate per script is. We were told at conference once ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

It's never advertised in advance what the rate per script is. We were told at conference once ever.

Well it has always been stated on information I've received, JCHL English in the past was paid at 11 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Anybody know what they intend to pay to correctors for the new JC English paper? It would have been helpful had information been stated on letter.

There's always the option of emailing them and asking , they are very obliging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Has it not been reduced to 1 paper this year?

one paper and an assessment task (that was done in school around Dec time) Paper worth 90%, assessment task worth 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Must be just my subject so!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

Hello all. Can anybody share their experiences of correcting last years Junior Cycle English? Was it beneficial at all in terms of learning exactly what is being looked for from the students? Rate of pay for HL? Do you mark the assessment task along with the June examination?

I'm correcting mocks now and considering it for June. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement