Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment and long term plans

Options
  • 22-01-2017 6:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

I did a university degree that I finished aged 22, it provided no job opportunities and in the last 2.5 years I've only had 8 months of basic factory work, even that was brutal to find as the companies seem to prefer the European workers. I was unemployed for over 9 months straight and when this happens you are required to attend employment courses with employment advisers which I am currently attending, there is actually quite a lot of people on that course. I am also doing a course to get a security license for security guard jobs.

I would be content with any type of long term work but it seems to be nearly impossible to get when you have little experience, companies rarely let you work for free either unless it is through an unemployment course.
    I am approaching 25 now and always wanted to work in Australia for a while so was planning on getting a Working Holiday Visa when I am 27 as I think you need to be under 31 to get one.

I feel as though I am will be trapped in long term employment or at least very inconsistent work because to be able to emigrate permanently to somewhere like Australia you need to have a specific jobskill and experience which I don't have. I have a feeling that the only real option is for me to get into the building trade or something? My father is a carpenter and has been never been unemployed since the mid 1970s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Would you like a trade? Have you ever done a day labouring or helping a tradesman. Not for everyone.

What type of course did you do and why? I presume it was of interest to you atthe time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Would you like a trade? Have you ever done a day labouring or helping a tradesman. Not for everyone.

What type of course did you do and why? I presume it was of interest to you atthe time

You have to buy a license and do a course even to do labouring jobs, it is not something I can afford at the moment as I am paying off debts. I have worked in factories before doing heavy work so it wouldn't be that strange, it would be better than having no money and no prospects.

I did a technology course, it was a mix of broadcast technology and broadcast engineering, satellites and things. I am not generally an intelligent person, I did well in exams but it is a whole different thing being good at a job. I was 18 when I chose the course and didn't realise what the job prospects would be like afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 BigBulldog

Do a springboard course. Free masters and hdip for unemployed people and u keep your dole

www dot springboardcourses dot ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I did a technology course, it was a mix of broadcast technology and broadcast engineering, satellites and things. I am not generally an intelligent person, I did well in exams but it is a whole different thing being good at a job. I was 18 when I chose the course and didn't realise what the job prospects would be like afterwards.

This sounds like a lack of confidence to me. You did well in exams, got a degree by the time you were 22 - I doubt that you are "not generally intellegent" based on those facts.

Why do you say "it's a whole different thing being good at a job"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

You have to buy a license and do a course even to do labouring jobs, it is not something I can afford at the moment as I am paying off debts. I have worked in factories before doing heavy work so it wouldn't be that strange, it would be better than having no money and no prospects.

Go to the Local employment services and they'll arrange for you to do your safe pass (iirc free if unemplyed)....if you want to go labouring

There's also the farm relief services if your rural based....all ways looking for milkers (cnut of a job though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I did a university degree that I finished aged 22, it provided no job opportunities and in the last 2.5 years I've only had 8 months of basic factory work, even that was brutal to find as the companies seem to prefer the European workers. I was unemployed for over 9 months straight and when this happens you are required to attend employment courses with employment advisers which I am currently attending, there is actually quite a lot of people on that course. I am also doing a course to get a security license for security guard jobs.

I would be content with any type of long term work but it seems to be nearly impossible to get when you have little experience, companies rarely let you work for free either unless it is through an unemployment course.
    I am approaching 25 now and always wanted to work in Australia for a while so was planning on getting a Working Holiday Visa when I am 27 as I think you need to be under 31 to get one.

I feel as though I am will be trapped in long term employment or at least very inconsistent work because to be able to emigrate permanently to somewhere like Australia you need to have a specific jobskill and experience which I don't have. I have a feeling that the only real option is for me to get into the building trade or something? My father is a carpenter and has been never been unemployed since the mid 1970s.

What did you in Uni? Sounds like to me you either have no direction or interest in that particular area- but a Degree is not something rigid, all different types of people with Degrees go in all different directions- my own sister did an Arts Degree and ended up with a very good job in the public service for example.
    You need drive, tenacity and determination to make a go of things though- if I were you I'd be absolutely exploring career areas where I could build from the Degree (people have suggested Springboard for example, which is good).
    There are courses for general Science courses that can convert them for opps in Pharma for example.
    "The Degree provided no opportunities"- well they don't usually do that, unless something very specific like a Nursing or Medical Degree. You have to do that in the main.
    You sound demoralised and stuck and it's probably hard to find a direction out of where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I did European Studies in college. I was lost for while afterwards as I felt I did not have many applicable skills to the majority of jobs out there. I ended up living abroad for a while and got a low level job in Finance. After a couple of jobs in this area I found a job that were willing to sponsor me to sit accountancy exams. I am in the middle of these now but the best decision I have made in years.

Keep looking to improve and upskill. The more skilled you become the more in demand your services will be. A lot of people end up working in completely different areas from what they studied. As mentioned you need to make sure you have a drive to improve yourself and take the bull by the horns and make some changes. If you don't make changes, don't expect your situation to change.

Best of luck

road_high wrote: »
    What did you in Uni? Sounds like to me you either have no direction or interest in that particular area- but a Degree is not something rigid, all different types of people with Degrees go in all different directions- my own sister did an Arts Degree and ended up with a very good job in the public service for example.
    You need drive, tenacity and determination to make a go of things though- if I were you I'd be absolutely exploring career areas where I could build from the Degree (people have suggested Springboard for example, which is good).
    There are courses for general Science courses that can convert them for opps in Pharma for example.
    "The Degree provided no opportunities"- well they don't usually do that, unless something very specific like a Nursing or Medical Degree. You have to do that in the main.
    You sound demoralised and stuck and it's probably hard to find a direction out of where you are.

It was a bachelor of science degree, included a mix of broadcast technology, broadcast engineering and electronics, I did have interest in the area, I was trying to get into working for television networks but was very hard to even find jobs to apply for, some people from the course now work in places like banks and estate agents now.

This sounds like a lack of confidence to me. You did well in exams, got a degree by the time you were 22 - I doubt that you are "not generally intellegent" based on those facts.

Why do you say "it's a whole different thing being good at a job"?

Maybe I explained it wrong, I would be intelligent but struggle with thinking under pressure, my mind has a tendency to go blank sometimes, I think it is because of my anxiety problems for example when driving a car I would sometimes forget which gear I am in.

BigBulldog wrote: »
    Do a springboard course. Free masters and hdip for unemployed people and u keep your dole

www dot springboardcourses dot ie

I am in northern ireland so can't do that, I googled it for here but it seems you have to be aged between 18-24.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maybe I explained it wrong, I would be intelligent but struggle with thinking under pressure, my mind has a tendency to go blank sometimes, I think it is because of my anxiety problems for example when driving a car I would sometimes forget which gear I am in.

Ah ok - fair enough. I can't drive, so I know where you;re coming from.

THat said, I think this may be a simple issue of just defining the problem correctly, especially before you go to Australia.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ah ok - fair enough. I can't drive, so I know where you;re coming from.

THat said, I think this may be a simple issue of just defining the problem correctly, especially before you go to Australia.

can i get you to elaborate on the second comment if possible as i'm not sure what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It was a bachelor of science degree, included a mix of broadcast technology, broadcast engineering and electronics, I did have interest in the area, I was trying to get into working for television networks but was very hard to even find jobs to apply for, some people from the course now work in places like banks and estate agents now.

That sounds like a fantastic degree to have OP. Well done, I'm sure that wasn't easy got either.
    You may want to broaden your horizons outside of the TV networks area, especially if you're finding the opportunities limited in that. I'm sure a degree like this can have many applications and avenues you're perhaps overlooking.
    Lots of people do Degrees but it doesn't necessarily pigeon hole them into that directly. I know people with Agricultural Degrees working in banks for example, in high level positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

when driving a car I would sometimes forget which gear I am in.

Good, you should do. I'm driving for almost 30 years and I couldn't tell you what gear I'm in at any given moment, which is proper order 'cos that is not something you need to be consciously thinking about. Engine is not racing or straining, rev counter is not too high or low, ergo I am in the right gear.

I know driving is not the problem you posted about, but I'm referring to it because I think it's telling that you imagine it to be something you should know and I think it shows that you don't lack a good degree, intelligence or ability, but rather that you just don't know what to do with those things and don't know how to make them work for you.

Any degree can be translated into a job in an unrelated area. To get a degree you have to have research skills, presentation skills, writing skills, the application to work for a few years, the ability to absorb knowledge and other skills, you just have to present them to an employer now. I also doubt that your degree, which sounds like an interesting field, won't produce jobs here or abroad.

I think you have decided, because of a lack of confidence perhaps, that you can't do certain things, that you're not able for certain jobs. That kind of thinking has left you overqualified for the work you think you can do and not pursuing work you are actually qualified for.

I think you could do with two kinds of professional help, counselling for your confidence and anxiety issues and career advice other than the group leader in a job scheme for the unemployed who might have great intentions and ability, but will also have a client list longer than you and be unable to focus on you.

Start with you and how you're thinking and the job and emigration questions will start to answer themselves.

Advertisement