Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I pass the semester

Options
  • 22-01-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, Im a first year in UL and I'm confused whether or not I passed my first semester. Does my QCA count already since I only got 1.8? And my scores were (B2,B3,C3,D2,F) Will I have to repeat the year or a module?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You need to repeat the F, and optionally the D.

To pass the semester, you need a QCA of 2.00 or better, and no fails. You can have what they call compensating fails (D's) as long as QCA is over 2.00.

Repeat in the summer. If you fail then, then you repeat the module and don't continue in the course.

Your grade in repeats will be capped at a C3 aswell, so basically they want you to get a B3 or better, given you have more time and it's your second go, but they substitute in a C3 in place of it, and that is what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ljafagan

myshirt wrote: »
    You need to repeat the F, and optionally the D.

To pass the semester, you need a QCA of 2.00 or better, and no fails. You can have what they call compensating fails (D's) as long as QCA is over 2.00.

Repeat in the summer. If you fail then, then you repeat the module and don't continue in the course.

Your grade in repeats will be capped at a C3 aswell, so basically they want you to get a B3 or better, given you have more time and it's your second go, but they substitute in a C3 in place of it, and that is what you get.

Does this mean I can repeat the two exams in summer and continue on to do my spring semester in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ljafagan wrote: »
    Does this mean I can repeat the two exams in summer and continue on to do my spring semester in UL?

Yes, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Get a passing QCA of 2.0 and you'll only have to repeat the F grade. A D2 in that would bring your first semester QCA to 2.04.

I know first year results don't contribute towards QCA but they are the foundation for later modules in your course so it pays to put in that extra bit of effort.
    Golden piece of advice, attend your tutorials. Whatever about the lectures, absolutely go if you can but I'd say 95% of what I learned, I learned in the tutorials. If you've a question, ask it, and maybe it's a personal thing, I know some lecturers disagree but write notes on everything. Just little shorthand squiggles and reminders and elaborate on them yourself later.
    Last semester I'd a lecture in the concert hall, about 300 people so I wasn't going to be asking any questions so I sat close to the front to the side, printed off the notes for the lecture (3 slides one slide and room for notes beside it) and wrote down everything the lecturer said that wasn't on the slides in notes and merged them together later. You'd be surprised how much info you end up with and how much you retain from writing it out.
    Just a few tips, I know as well as many how disheartening a bad first semester can be but it can be easily saved with some hard work.
    Good luck this Semester.

Advertisement