Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold item for 1c on eBay. Postage will cost me €60!!

Options
  • 22-01-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Haha, so probably a novice mistake with online selling, but I sold something for 1c on eBay and had a $15 charge for worldwide shipping. The buyer has already paid the $15.01 into my paypal account, but I found out they are in Indonesia and after checking the price of a half kilo parcel to indonesia, it's saying it will cost me €60 for standard post which probably isn't even tracked.

The buyer account is new and has 0 feedback if this means anything? (possible scammer?), but email and postal address match and could as easily be legitimate.

Any advice on what to do? Don't want to get negative feedback, but at the same time, surely the buyer doesn't expect me to pay €60 on something I'm getting 1c for?!

Any feedback would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,668 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

cormie wrote: »
    Haha, so probably a novice mistake with online selling, but I sold something for 1c on eBay and had a $15 charge for worldwide shipping. The buyer has already paid the $15.01 into my paypal account, but I found out they are in Indonesia and after checking the price of a half kilo parcel to indonesia, it's saying it will cost me €60 for standard post which probably isn't even tracked.

The buyer account is new and has 0 feedback if this means anything? (possible scammer?), but email and postal address match and could as easily be legitimate.

Any advice on what to do? Don't want to get negative feedback, but at the same time, surely the buyer doesn't expect me to pay €60 on something I'm getting 1c for?!

Your mistake as far as I can see.
    You become the scammer if you don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well I would of course issue a full refund?

Well I would of course issue a full refund?

All you can do is explain the situation. If the buyer insists then you have no choice but suck it up or risk negative feedback. It isn't the buyer's problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd refund and take the risk of negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

€60 seems like a small price to pay for all that education on how to sell online? I think most people would have figured it all out before they started selling, but since you didn't you need to accept that that is the cost of learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

You can send a cancellation request (I believe it is 'item out of stock' option) you will get a defect on your account and of course be open to negative feedback. It's not the buyers fault and is an unfair thing to do but can understand your reason for doing it. Why did you not do your research before the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just refund and say you can't supply to Indonesia.

Giving away an item is one thing throwing away €60 is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd take the negative feedback
    That being said incredibly naive thinking that you could post a parcel worldwide for 15 quid. It might get you to eastern Europe but it won't get much further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

May I ask why would anyone sell an item for 1c? What's the benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

May I ask why would anyone sell an item for 1c? What's the benefit?

Setting the postage at 15 quid.

• Advertisement

For those of you thinking I was looking to profit on this sale and are happy to see me get caught out, this is an item I previously tried to give away for free on adverts.ie, I listed it in the free section, it got no interest, I bumped it a month later, still no interest, I put it on eBay and thought €15 would cover postage as it's only a small packaet, and I thought it would be very close to this price so wouldn't have actually made anything from it anyway, I just don't like wasting stuff that somebody else can get use out of and it's not something you'd really give to a charity shop, so eBay seemed the best place, and sure enough, it got a buyer, they just happen to live somewhere I was naive enough not to consider I'd have to post to. I'll check with the post office tomorrow, if it's €20 or so, I'll suck it up, but much more and I'll ask the buyer what they think and see if we can come to a compromise.

For those of you thinking I was looking to profit on this sale and are happy to see me get caught out, this is an item I previously tried to give away for free on adverts.ie, I listed it in the free section, it got no interest, I bumped it a month later, still no interest, I put it on eBay and thought €15 would cover postage as it's only a small packaet, and I thought it would be very close to this price so wouldn't have actually made anything from it anyway, I just don't like wasting stuff that somebody else can get use out of and it's not something you'd really give to a charity shop, so eBay seemed the best place, and sure enough, it got a buyer, they just happen to live somewhere I was naive enough not to consider I'd have to post to. I'll check with the post office tomorrow, if it's €20 or so, I'll suck it up, but much more and I'll ask the buyer what they think and see if we can come to a compromise.

I am not 'happy' to see you lose money.
    If I saw somebody selling stuff on Ebay with few previous sales and they had a negative rating stuck in the middle of it, I would scroll on tbh.
    Your decision which is worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

looksee wrote: »
    €60 seems like a small price to pay for all that education on how to sell online? I think most people would have figured it all out before they started selling, but since you didn't you need to accept that that is the cost of learning.

No they don't. A refund and cop the negative feedback is the obvious and most sensible solution, and that's coming from someone with 16 years on ebay, a 300+ 100% positive feedback.

There is also the problem that Indonesia has one of the worst reps for parcels being intercepted on entry to the country and not getting to the intended recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

OP, where are you getting €60 from?

An Post's site is telling me €6 for a 0.5kg packet, and €25.60 for a 0.5kg parcel to Indonesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maki wrote: »
    OP, where are you getting €60 from?

An Post's site is telling me €6 for a 0.5kg packet, and €25.60 for a 0.5kg parcel to Indonesia.

He is either looking at the 5kg number, or it is 5kg. As he said small pack it would likely be 500g.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/PostalRates/Standard+Post.htm

Postage out of Ireland is ridiculously high, its why I never really considered selling stuff online. You can easily look up the rates in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

The small packet rate to Indonesia is only €6 for up to 0.5 Kg. A packet is bigger than you might think. From An Post again:
    Maximum dimensions for a packet are a combined length, height and depth of 900mm. No individual dimension can exceed 600mm, with a tolerance of 2mm.

If your item isn't that big, there's a good chance it will comply with these (that's up to two feet on a single side, as long as the three sides together don't exceed three feet in length).

Ok, I must be coming across a right eejit here:o

I was calculating the price based on a 5kg shioment instead of .5KG!

I don't know how I managed that, I've used the calculate postage page with anpost plenty of times in the past accurately but guess just with it being Indonesia, I didn't realise my mistake and just assumed it was crazy expensive.

It's €11.05 for registered post so that should hopefully protect me in the case of any interceptions as mentioned above.

Sorry to waste everyone's time and thanks for the help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think you may be getting mixed up in your weights. 500g or half akilo as a packet is €6.00 and as a parcel is €25.60. 5kg is €60

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/PostalRates/Standard+Post.htm

Note to self read complete thread before replying. I see you sorted it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If it's your first time selling something on ebay then just cancel the order and set up a new account.

Shipped with registered post for €11.05. Now let's just hope nobody is going to try pull any scams :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Shipped with registered post for €11.05. Now let's just hope nobody is going to try pull any scams :cool:

Follows thread for news of scam alert ;)

Advertisement