Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology Degree UCC v's Open University

Options
  • 22-01-2017 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I would be very greatfull if someone could give me their views, opinions, experience of psychology degrees from UCC and Open University. I'm interested in studying psychology so I have applied for UCC which would be my first choice but competition for places based on mature student status is very competitive. My chances of gaining a place are slim to none. Other brick universities are not an option for me due to location restraints. I've also applied for other degrees in UCC, gaining a place on these courses might be more realistic for me, but psychology is what I really want to do. So I've been looking into the Open University psychology degree but doing a degree by distance learning is a little bit daunting and the cost is high, although the advantage of working from home in my own time is quite appealing. Any advice or information in relation to this would be very much appreciated. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Katiefe

Hi,

Have you considered DCU's Open Education degree as an alternative? They provide a psychology module. I know in previous years they have used UCC as an exam centre so it may not be necessary to travel for exams etc. I study through DCU though not psychology. However it has been a good experience and all my tutors have been supportive. Distance learning is tough, it requires a lot of self discipline and it can be isolating but it is flexible so there is always a trade off. Also do UCC offer psychology through arts? Many universities now offer this on the regular BA with the option of doing a higher diploma after graduation for those who wish to train in this area. There might be more general arts places than psychology places.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Micheller7

Katiefe wrote: »
    Hi,

Have you considered DCU's Open Education degree as an alternative? They provide a psychology module. I know in previous years they have used UCC as an exam centre so it may not be necessary to travel for exams etc. I study through DCU though not psychology. However it has been a good experience and all my tutors have been supportive. Distance learning is tough, it requires a lot of self discipline and it can be isolating but it is flexible so there is always a trade off. Also do UCC offer psychology through arts? Many universities now offer this on the regular BA with the option of doing a higher diploma after graduation for those who wish to train in this area. There might be more general arts places than psychology places.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply, I looked into DCU and the degree isn't recognised by PSI which would mean I would have to do a further 2 years hdip psy in UCC after the degree. UCC arts with psy is the same and has lots of places for matures, but tbh I don't think I would have much interest in the other subjects they have to offer (it would be a hard 3 years to study areas that are of no interest to me). Childhood or social studies would be more up my street of interest, if I was to go for this option. OU psy degree is recognised by BPS, therefore is recognised by PSI (I may be corrected on this but from what I understand this is true) and it can be done in 3 years with full time study. Financially it would probably work out the same if I did a UCC degree and then hdip psy.. but it would take 2 years longer.. and there's always a chance I might not even get a place on the hdip when it comes to it!! OU is looking more and more appealing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Micheller7

On that note, I would love to hear from anyone who did the OU psy degree.. particularly in relation to PSI recognised and further study in psy. I'm a bit worried that the OU degree might effect my chances of further psy studies. Would a psy degree or conversion course from an Irish brink college hold more weight in relation to application onto further psy studies.. for example, clinical psy or educational psy courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sslane

Micheller7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I looked into DCU and the degree isn't recognised by PSI which would mean I would have to do a further 2 years hdip psy in UCC after the degree.

I'm currently studying this with DCU and we've been told that we will get accredited by PSI and that students of the open education Humanities degree have already been accredited by them, but as the Humanities (Psychology major) degree is only new no one has been accredited yet as no one has yet completed it.

Advertisement