Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier in 1923

Options
  • 22-01-2017 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I've recently discovered (through my Great-Grandparent's marriage cert) that my G-Grandfather was a soldier based in Tubbercurry when they married in 1923. When I asked my Dad about him, he mentioned that he would regularly disappear to England without warning when my grandfather was a young boy.  Unfortunately that's all the information he could provide.  I'm assuming that he was a member of the British Army but is there any way to confirm this and possibly find out further details about him?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If he was a member of the British Army you may be able to find a service record for him at Find My Past or Ancestry.
    If you haven't used either site before both offer a free two week trial.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If it's the Irish army, then you need to contact the military archives in Dublin with proof of descent and they'll give you his record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LellsBells

Thanks for your help Hermy. I've tried FMP and I've found 3 records with his name but I've no way of knowing if any of them are the man in question. There are no references to family members or locations etc to tie it back to him. 
    Thanks for your reply Pinky, I'll give that a try. 
    Stupid question I know, but how can I prove I'm a descendant? Would I need to provide birth certs from my G-Grandfather down to my own?

That's right - show the chain of birth certs and the relevant person's death cert. You could email them first and ask if his name is there before you get them together. They'd be able to tell from his DOB/DOD and name if he was in the Irish army.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

If your ancestor was in the Irish National Army in 1922 you may find him at http://www.militaryarchives.ie/en/collections/online-collections/irish-army-census-records

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Were it 1923 surely that would mean he was in the Irish Army? Many of those who enlisted at that time had been on 'active service' and there is a possibility he either made a statement or is mentioned in the Witness Statements filed in the BMH. Have you searched there?

The British Army was still extracting themselves in 1923, Pedro, so he could have been in them. Also, if he was disappearing to England, then that adds more likelihood to that.

What exactly does the marriage cert say for his occupation? Usually, with British Army, they'll say a regiment, but Irish Army is more likely to just say soldier.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I thought the last lot left before Christmas 1922, having remained for a stipulated one year period to ensure the 'Treaty' terms were implemented?
    Anyway, it would be unusual for an ordinary soldier to be moved over to England and back regularly, particularly to the same barracks. It does not 'fit' IMO. There also is this site and were he in an Irish regiment in the British Army he could be listed there.

It took some barracks longer to vacate, according to someone I was talking to in the Military Archives.

I agree a soldier would be unlikely to be hoping back and forth though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LellsBells

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately there are no records for him on the Military census, BMH statements or NAM records. I've emailed the Military Archives so hopefully they will be able to shed some light on it. 

Pinky, the marriage cert says he was a "soldier".

It seems silly but it's really shocked me that he was a soldier.  I know it's not an unusual occupation but the family have never mentioned it before. He grew up in Galway so I was hoping that the fact he was based in Tubbercurry in Sligo would pinpoint whether it was the Irish or British army.
    Anyway, thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement